Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the ceramic coating is to keep heat in, but what real difference in power is that going to make? Is it worth it to spend the extra $130 for it?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I would say yes, simply because the O2 sensors need the heat to operate correctly.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say yes, simply because the O2 sensors need the heat to operate correctly.
But the stock manifolds/h pipe arent ceramic coated, so shouldnt it operate correctly either way?

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
One will rust......

Reactions: casper gt

·
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!
1,986 Posts
it goes back to the same reason to use header wrap. Hot gas is thin gas with a higher exit velocity; thus keeping the heat in gets the exhaust out faster; plus it keeps less heat in the engine bay. Whether the difference is worth $130 I doubt.

Your 02s should would properly either way, as long as they're properly re-installed.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
But the stock manifolds/h pipe arent ceramic coated, so shouldnt it operate correctly either way?
The stock manifolds are thick cast iron, not thin mild steel or stainless steel as well, which acts as an insulator compared to the headers.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Some of you put too much thought into it. Go ceramic if you can afford it and painted if you can't. Mine are cheap painted Flowtechs and after 5 years have some light surface rust and I never give them a second thought. I don't think it makes a difference in my timeslips :D

Reactions: casper gt

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
^ True, I have painted flowtechs on my truck for the last 8 years and there fine. Ugly but there still there. Your probaly going to scratch the coating puting them on anyway its a tight fit on your cars as i am sure you guys know:). I would go stainless if money allows.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
the o2 problem with long tubes isnt the thickness, its the o2 goes from being right at the final port to being moved 16 inches down the exhaust path

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The ceramic coating wont get discolored like stainless steel. My friend owns a metal shop the does ceramic coatings on stuffz. He be like "dat stainles aint so stainless dawg" lol but really it will last.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The ceramic coating wont get discolored like stainless steel. My friend owns a metal shop the does ceramic coatings on stuffz. He be like "dat stainles aint so stainless dawg" lol but really it will last.
depends on what series stainless you have, some stainless has just enough nickle in it not to be considered mild steel. ever notice 409 "stainless" exhaust rusting? it needs to be a quality stainless like a 300 series

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
good point. but I mean like from the heat. He says it doesn't get that color in it that you see on exhaust sometimes. its like a bluish color.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I the only ones that i can really find that are stainless steel that are in my budget are Pypes. They're actually cheaper than all the others.I might just buy them, put some high heat paint on them, and throw them on. I try not to drive my car in the rain and take it to a car wash that does undercarriage rinses twice a week in the winter. I just want to find a video of pypes lt's and o/r h with borla stingers thats not muffeled, but have had no such luck doing so.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
don't paint what ever you get, it will just flake off and look like ****. I think that setup will sound good, it seams like the 2v sounds good no matter what exhaust is on there. Some are better than others but they usally sound good, I like the h pipe as well.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i have painted flowtechs and they seem to be holding up fine

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
they still look like this after three months of daily driving rain or shine

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
let us know how they look in a few more months;).

·
Registered
364 Posts
This isn't true at all.
My BBK ceramic coated ones are discolored/rusted after 2 years of seeing only minor bits of salt/snow. Now that I'm in AZ, I'm swapping them out and won't have to worry.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts