Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moved my car out of the driveway this morning and saw gear oil on the ground right under the differential. Damn, the cover was a little bent, some one tried to jack it up from there I guess.... Is its safe (or wise) to use the same cover?
I have a temporary fix of high heat RTV on it, but I'm not driving it unless I absolutely have to, and even then I only go maybe 5-10 miles away.

It's my DD so I need this fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would just pull the cover off and clean it real good, and then rtv the flanges and slap it back together. Mine was bent slightly and leaked more after I put the actual gasket on it.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I'm going to be replacing it sometime over spring break. I pulled the fill plug to check how much was in and it started flowing out on me. I guess its fine as long as I don't go hard on it.
New gasket, high-heat RTV, fluid, anything else? Do I need ford friction modifier? What weight, and what brand of gear fluid. 75w-140 or other?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Just use RTV, no need for a gasket. And you dont need high temp rtv, regular rtv will work fine

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gear oil, I would assume to stick to the 75w-140. What brands have friction modifier already in them?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I know valvoline does, Just read the bottle when you pic it up. most synthetics have it also. How old is your fluid thats in the diff?

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know valvoline does, Just read the bottle when you pic it up. most synthetics have it also. How old is your fluid thats in the diff?
Fluid to my knowledge is original from ford, so 71k.

·
All Homo All The Time
2,917 Posts
My cover was bent and leaking so I pulled it off and bent it back. The fluid the auto parts house said i needed was 75-140 full synthetic. Royal purple is what brand I used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts