Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 Cobra a new m-6007-a46na installed, have a JLT CAI, BBK twin 65tb, BBK long tubes and catted x pipe, Magnaflows out back, newer irs with 3.90 gear, m-6550-t46 kit and an sct tuner.

29 March 2011
283.84 Max Power
292.31 Max Torque

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Back in 08 dyno

On 7 March 2008 old engine lots of miles No tuner and no gear and no cam kit...original engine but different dyno.

Max Power 302.9
Max Torque 304.4

Confused I am

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Honestly, that's about right for your mods. You should be able to get closer to 300 with a good dyno tune. Do you have same compression, internals?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
On 7 March 2008 old engine lots of miles No tuner and no gear and no cam kit...original engine but different dyno.

Max Power 302.9
Max Torque 304.4

Confused I am
I think that might have something to do with it. Without the same dyno, you're comparing apples to oranges. Dyno pulls are extremely sensitive to different equipment and operating conditions.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The engine replacement lists:
10:1 Compression pistons
Forged pistons
Forged h beam rods
Forged Crank
assembled long block with 03/04 heads and camshafts
Built with all NEW PARTS

I bought the fr500 cam kit for the install so it would be a new engine with high lift cams

the tuner is a sct hand held

page 62 of 2010 ford wish book

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Different dyno. Probably reads lower.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
What cc are your pistons. Also 4v have issues with cams being quite a few degrees out from bank to bank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do realize that different dyno machines will read differently. No question. Gears, I know they aren't adding horsepower. The problem I am having is understanding...

*New engine that was better than the old one.

*High lift cams that seem to have very similar specs to the "hot rod" cams sold for the three valve that are getting thirty and more horsepower.

*The SCT hand held tuner on top of that stuff.

Guess many had suggested to me that I should be in the area of three hundred and forty or so. A very famous tuner emailed me that with this set up adding a fuel pump, injectors and a maf meter that is larger and a tune there would be in upwards of...well he stated close to four hundred whp. So this is why I am disappointed a bit. Just thought it would be a bit more.

May go to the original dyno and see what happens.

john

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford SVT Tech. stated these are ten to 1 forged flat top pistons. That was all they said, not sure what cc at the moment. The lower compression engine lists 16cc dished though.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Ford has run several size dish pistons. It could range from -18cc which are factory forged zolner pistons from a 03 cobra. 17cc which is stock gt.-14cc which is stock 3v dish. All the way up to-3cc pistons which is stock na 4v pistons

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Was the old engine forged? Ive heard that Forged engines loose a lil power due to the denser metal having more weight.

Did you degree the cams? If they are off a bit that will definitely cost you power.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ford SVT Tech. stated these are ten to 1 forged flat top pistons. That was all they said, not sure what cc at the moment. The lower compression engine lists 16cc dished though.
Flat top pistons have no dish, so they would be 0cc.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Different dynos. Some things to look for:

Was one a Mustang Dyno and the other a Dynojet?
If same dyno type, was one dyno sheet uncorrected and the other SAE corrected?
If uncorrected, was one run on a hot summer day and the other run on a cool day?

Mustang Dynos are supposed to read lower because they apply load. But I don't think they read as low as some think. The difference between uncorrected and corrected can be all over the place. If you live at 6,000 feet you can be running 280 rwhp uncorrected and 425 SAE corrected. The correction is to Detroit's altitude of about 500 ft. The correction tries to take in consideration the differences in altitude, atmospheric pressure and tempature. Without the correction, the same dyno on different days can post 20 rwhp differences on exactly the same car.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
the real way to test the gains would be to compare it to your old 1/4 trap speed. your trap speed really dictates what kind of power your making even if you can't get it to hook as well. don't look at the dyno sheets especially if they are 2 different dynos.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
make sure the cams were degreed, and get a TUNE! IDC who the tuner is you cant get a good tune via e-mail. Even if you data log theres too many variables. Sure you can get a good start up tune or a somewhat ok tune via e-mail, but its not perfect. all cars are different. Take 2 of the same car with exact same mods and they will dyno different.

I would also be skepticle about this "famous tuner", bc with your mods your not going see 400rwhp. sorry not gonna happen.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Yeah 400rwhp would never ever happen. 400 crank would never happen. Some people give out stupid numbers man. Idk last time i heard bolting on a vortech gives you 800rwhp. Yeah that sounds just as stupid as 400 with headers, fuel injectors, pumps and catback lol.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The engine replacement lists:
10:1 Compression pistons
Forged pistons
Forged h beam rods
Forged Crank
assembled long block with 03/04 heads and camshafts
Built with all NEW PARTS

I bought the fr500 cam kit for the install so it would be a new engine with high lift cams

the tuner is a sct hand held

page 62 of 2010 ford wish book
You should be at 330-345 with that compression. What's the timing? Forget about numbers for a minute... How does it feel compared to the old?

Yes, the rotating assembly is heavier but not enough to drag that much out of it. What brand pistons? Find out the cc on them.

Is this a Mustang dyno and was the other a dynojet? you need a custom tune. Do you have a wideband installed? What's your a/f like?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts