Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 302 block bored to a 306 with stock heads and uped compression. I had it built up a little and refreshed. Anyways My engine builder told me what gear to get with my distributor. But the distributor doesn't rest on the block. It is resting on something inside the motor. Is that normal cause every mustang that I have looked at. The distirbutor rest on the block where the hold down is. I have tried different gears and three seperate distributors and none of them fixed the problem. They were all the same length from where the base of the block supposed to meet the distributor. All the way down to where the allen falls into the oil drive. My engine builder got a 302 block from the junk yard. Becasue my original block was cracked. Is there different 302 blocks? I don't know what to do? Please help!!

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Is the oil pump engaging the end of the distributor? Sometimes you have to take an extension and socket and turn the oil pump shaft 1/12th of a turn and it will slide right in.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Udge were the hell you been I havent seen you on here in a long time

I missed talking to you about ABB :hug :hug :hug

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
or try turning the crankshaft with a socket and see if it drops in
dont turn the crank you will get it out of time...

do what ryan said.. also sometimes that thing takes a while just play with it and it will uausally go in :)

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
I have a stock 302 block bored to a 306 with stock heads and uped compression. I had it built up a little and refreshed. Anyways My engine builder told me what gear to get with my distributor. But the distributor doesn't rest on the block. It is resting on something inside the motor. Is that normal cause every mustang that I have looked at. The distirbutor rest on the block where the hold down is. I have tried different gears and three seperate distributors and none of them fixed the problem. They were all the same length from where the base of the block supposed to meet the distributor. All the way down to where the allen falls into the oil drive. My engine builder got a 302 block from the junk yard. Becasue my original block was cracked. Is there different 302 blocks? I don't know what to do? Please help!!

Thanks

Jon

I'm assuming a new oil pump and oil pump shaft? It is possible that the retaining ring for the oil pump shaft is too high and the distributor shaft is hitting it. I've seen that happen several times.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
dont turn the crank you will get it out of time...

do what ryan said.. also sometimes that thing takes a while just play with it and it will uausally go in :)

No it won't. The gears are meshed. All it needs is to either line up with the shaft or the retaining ring needs to be pushed down. Once the gears are meshed the distributor will turn when you turn the engine over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help I ran the car like that and there was no problems? But it still shouldn't be left like that. So I will try what you guys said.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Thanks for the help I ran the car like that and there was no problems? But it still shouldn't be left like that. So I will try what you guys said.
I wouldn't run it like that. Fix the problem. I've repaired a few of them for people that destroyed brand new MSD distributors because they decided to just tighten the clamp and run it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Shouldn't the retaining ring be between the block and the pump on the aftermarket shafts?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Shouldn't the retaining ring be between the block and the pump on the aftermarket shafts?
It is between the block and the pump on all shafts, on the top side of the shaft. Where the shaft runs thru the block is a short piece of casting. The distributor shaft sticks out of the bottom of the casting when it is installed.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Oh...I see so you think the ring is blocking the distributor?

Is that ring spot welded or just a friction fit?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Oh...I see so you think the ring is blocking the distributor?

Is that ring spot welded or just a friction fit?
Possibly. I've seen it many times. The distributor slides in and the shaft hits that retaining ring. Its just a press fit on the oil pump drive. I used to fix these so often I made a tool for it out of a 1/4 drive 1/4 deep well socket. I had to grind the outside down a bit. Just slide a long extension on it and give it a couple taps with a hammer. The ring slides right down.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Or you could just take an old distributor shaft and remove the gear. I use an old shaft without the gear to prime my oil pumps.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm assuming a new oil pump and oil pump shaft? It is possible that the retaining ring for the oil pump shaft is too high and the distributor shaft is hitting it. I've seen that happen several times.
+1
good call. thats happened to me.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Or you could just take an old distributor shaft and remove the gear. I use an old shaft without the gear to prime my oil pumps.
That would probably work too. I didn't have a distributor laying around that I wanted to disassemble so I made my tool with a cheap socket.

·
Registered
975 Posts
my buddy had the same problem. he ended up just using the dizzy hold down to force the dizzy down. bad idea. ended up screwing up a oil pump and oil pump shaft. we ended up shortening the shaft just a little but with a datco and a sanding disc. make sure you keep the angle right. we did it on the pionted end. works great and never had a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Could this issue cause a problem in the workings of the distributer?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks a ton I knocked the ring down and the distributor rests on teh block.

thanks

Jon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts