Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
#fordallday
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright this is a long story! Cheers if you read it all!

I recently acquired a 87' LX, The title does indeed say 4 cyl. Everything looks to have been redone on the car. Paintjob, 5.0 carb. swap, interiors gutted with bucket seats & a million aftermarket gauges, suspensions lowered, stainless steel fuel & brake lines, 5 lug swap with 99-04 calipers....

I got the car in a trade. A kid owned it (18 years old), and the distributor gear got grinded up inside the motor, and he needed a car. I had a 02' mitsubishi eclipse, I had recently bought for $800 and I ended up trading it for the 'stang.

Now the kid who traded me the car, knows nothing about it. He said he thinks its a 347 stroker. At eye inspection it has a holley 4 barrel, edelbrock intake mani, GT40 heads, stock block painted blue.
So basically I got the car towed in my driveway & pulled the dizzy out. The car has a full MSD ignition system, coil, dizzy. I find out with research the gear on the MSD distributor was cast iron, and i've been told that's a no go. I've been given advice to purchase a new MSD prt# 8583 bronze gear, becuase the cam is unknown & bronze works good with alot of cams, rather then go with steel that could cause damage.
I've also been told I can save money by rebuilding my msd distributor, and even though weights are rusted they can be reused. Thoughts?

I'll attach some pictures at the bottom, Any advice in which direction to go is appreciated.

·
Registered
127 Posts
my guess they put a cast gear on the distributor instead of a steel gear look at the gear on the distributor is it smooth or does it have texture to it if it has texture its a cast gear if its smooth it is a steel gear more than likely you will need a steel gear

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
you might consider getting rid of that air cleaner. If it ever backfires that thing will catch on fire and all the debris will fall into the carb/motor.

Dont ask me how I know this. :facepalm:

·
Registered
127 Posts
you might consider getting rid of that air cleaner. If it ever backfires that thing will catch on fire and all the debris will fall into the carb/motor.

haha ive seen that a couple of times

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Change the paint, wheels, Also I would go back to a factory distribter for like a 84 stang

·
#fordallday
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I am going to replace the air cleaner with a Ford Racing cobra one along with cobra valve covers. I like the black/polished thing....

my guess they put a cast gear on the distributor instead of a steel gear look at the gear on the distributor is it smooth or does it have texture to it if it has texture its a cast gear if its smooth it is a steel gear more than likely you will need a steel gear
Yes it is a cast Iron gear! Since the motor's internals are unknown, I was told not to go steel because it could damage & **** up the cam. I was told to go bronze gear because it covers the most variety of camshafts. Thoughts?

Change the paint, wheels, Also I would go back to a factory distribter for like a 84 stang
The paint, i'm waiting until summer when it gets hot enough out so I can paint it, I do a lot of bodywork & painting. I'm still undecided on color, I am into a bright red with black rims & black accents throughout. I am also stuck on a gloss black paint job with black rims & black everything. It's going to be a tough choice come summer. The rims I'm not too fond on either, far as I know they went outta style in the 90's lmao. Fortunately it is 5-lug converted, so I do have a wide choice of new rims, I bought used before, and they turned out to be unbalance-able, & bent, but you can't see it with your eye.... So I'm def. buying new, probably summer around the time I do the paint. Most likely drag light's or something very similar.

·
#fordallday
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MOAR PIX!

Inside dizzy:

The gear:

New coil!

My basic question is, Should I purchase a bronze gear over steel becuase steel can damage motors, and does anyone see any problems with the msd dizzy?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
The car looks good..... i dont mind flame paint jobs. But the wheels on the other hand should be changed

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Use a steel or composite gear. Odds are you dont have the correct camshaft for a bronze gear

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I was told the bronze gear should only be used with a billet core cam. You should be able to look into the dist. hole & see if it has a hydraulic roller cam. If it does, use the steel gear.

The car looks good, but those wheels gota go!!!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Paint doesn't look bad at all. If it is in good shape, yank the drivetrain and sell the shell or just flip it as is. Why paint over something that someone else would pay for. Maybe cuz I'm 33 and flames were the **** when I was younger, but it's way better looking than my heap. Wheels... not so much!

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
I vote for steel gear, bronze will eventually wear out too. And for the record, steel gears are not smooth, they are cast just like the iron ones, just cast out of steel. Both have the rough texture and its really hard to tell the difference.

·
#fordallday
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still stuck guys, with an unknown cam should I go bronze or steel?

Best pic I managed to snag:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts