Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I've got a 1989 mustang GT.

I am taking out the heat and a/c.
That also means that the bypass tube that has the engine coolant temp sensor in it has to go.

I've seen a few ways of fixing this issue. Here's mine.

Product Auto part Fuel line Gas Plumbing

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
What are you doing with that open port in that picture ? Most people I see that delete the heater tube just put the coolant temp sensor in the hole that the heater tube came out of. I think a reducer may be needed, not sure on that part, cant remember

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you doing with that open port in that picture ? Most people I see that delete the heater tube just put the coolant temp sensor in the hole that the heater tube came out of. I think a reducer may be needed, not sure on that part, cant remember
That won't work. It's the same spot that the coolant comes out of an goes to the water pump.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Yes you need a reducer. I am doing the same thing on my Fox project.

I would guess he us running that elbow so he can continue running the inlet hose for the water pump. He can do that, but I am just going to to delete and plug mine.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, I want the coolant to flow freely.

I'm thinking of making a few of these for other people that want a nice clean look, and don't wanna have to mess with plugging anything. Hassle free, plug an play!

Anyone interested?

$50 free shipping within the US.
Sensor not included, use the one you have.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking of making a few of these for other people that want a nice clean look, and don't want any Hassle. Plug an play!

Anyone interested? Here's what you would get.
Fastener Auto part Brass Household hardware Metal

$50 free shipping within the US.
Sensor not included, use the one you have.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see the point in paying $50 for something I can make for probably around $10.
I see what you mean. I tried doing that and didn't have any luck.
So I would say goodluck. It's not truely $50 when you figure in shipping, I have that included in the price. If there was something like this out there for $50 shipped, I would have paid it. Then I wouldn't have to spend my time and money to get where I have with this peace.

The fitting alone was more than $10. I took that to a machine shop to have it drilled an tapped, because I, like most don't have a tap an die kit and a drill press. And as you can imagine I paid a fair bit for an hour for them to do the job. So $50 is a great price! :)

But, I'm just putting feelers out there.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Interesting you say the fitting was more then $10.......

Mustang 90 Degree Heater Hose Fitting 5/8 Inch

Looks like that is $10 to me and if I remember correctly you mentioned that is where you work. But it looks like you edited that out of your post. So you probably got it for the rock bottom price of five fingers. I can pick up that same elbow for around $5-$6 locally. If a machine shop charged you an hour labor to drill and tap a hole in that, I'd find another machine shop.

I'm fine with people making extra money on stuff, but don't try to tell me you have a ton of money and time spent on that little fitting.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
So lets get some clarification here.......

Like I said in my first post. Most people I see tht delete the heater tube assembly just install a reducer and put the act sensor in the hole that heater tube assembly was once in. And then plug the port coming out of the water pump.

What are the negative effects of doing this ?

Vs.

Having this bypass fitting ( positive or negatives of this)

Sorry im just trying to understand.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts

Like I said in my first post. Most people I see tht delete the heater tube assembly just install a reducer and put the act sensor in the hole that heater tube assembly was once in. And then plug the port coming out of the water pump.

Vs.

It's just a looks preference. It makes no matter if you keep it like he has ran it or plug it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know lol, but there is a reason it's there.
My preference would be to have it the way I made it.

I would imagine that blocking off the port on the water pump may effect the cooling efficiency.

Vs.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Interesting you say the fitting was more then $10.......

It is still over $10. That's a sale price. Are really going to argue with me over this? Seriously, over less than $.10

You have to much free time lol
I'm not arguing at all, makes no matter. You're completely ignoring my point.

As you said there are many ways to delete the heat stuff and that is another good idea.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

I don't know lol, but there is a reason it's there.
My preference would be to have it the way I made it.

I would imagine that blocking off the port on the water pump may effect the cooling efficiency.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Its only there to recirculate coolant from the heater core to the lines, then back into the pump. With all that gone, the line is no longer needed. It has no effects on the cooling efficiency when you block it off.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not arguing at all, makes no matter. You're completely ignoring my point.

As you said there are many ways to delete the heat stuff and that is another good idea.
Not at all bud. I'm just putting out an option. Yes I would make a small profit, for my time spent.

I'm not trying to ignore anything you're saying. Also we need to understand that chatting threw messages leaves a lot of mis interperatasion on the table.

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Here's a different way of looking at this theory.

If i have 2 bottles of water and I poke 1 hole in the one and 2 holes in the other. Which bottle is going to empty out first (move more water)?

And 2 functioning ports on the water pump is going to move more water.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts