Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 96 mustang GT and I think I have an aftermarket fuel pump in my car, I know we have a return style fuel system but when im at WOT it's very obvious my gas gauge moves, approximately down 1/8th to 1/2 of a quarter of a tank. Is this normal for the stock fuel pumps? Im wondering because i'm going to be putting a 100 shot wet kit in my car. Also, will any type of window switch work with any type of nitrous kit, like could I put a ZEX window switch on a NOS Sniper EFI Universal Kit?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
your fuel level is determined by the float in your tank. as g forces slosh the fuel around - its pretty apparent that the gauge will bob up and down as well. so no harm done if your fuel gauge moves. your level does go back up to normal level after youre back at cruising level, correct? the same effect is apparent if you park your car on an incline (driveway, on a curb, etc)

not sure on your nitrous question - but id be happy to learn the answer. i think nitrous would be the next step for my car if i wanted to go fast again :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Kyle, yes, the gauge goes back normal, never thought about the float moving.. I also wonder if my stock fuel pump would be enough since im only spraying a 100 shot..

·
Registered
46 Posts
it would be a good idea to get a fuel pump but i bet the stock would handle 100 shot, i have a NOS fuel pump on my 96, my only problem with spraying a car is it slowly kills it, you will notice the power decreasing after you use nitrous for a while, even 100 shot

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't be using this very often so I'll be okay. Maybe once to three times a month at most. It's my daily so I dont want to mess it up.. I will have the car dyno tuned also.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Depending how many miles your car has upgrading the fuel pump wouldnt be a bad idea, fuel pumps always go bad on every car with miles and time. If you do get a new pump you should get a new grommet for where the filler arm meets the gas tank those are prone to tearing and almost 100% gonna crack and rip over time and will cause gas to leak out when u take left turns on a full tank. I went with a BBK aka walbro 155 lph fuel pump about a year ago and havent had any problems since, those are good till about 650 hp, they also make a 255 lph pump but i felt like that was overkill and to much fuel pumping for my needs. The walbro fuel pumps are kinda noisy when the keys are in the ON position so i guess to see if u had an aftermarket one turn your keys to the ON position and listen for a loud whine coming from the back of the car, theres a couple videos on youtube where u can hear peoples walbro's pumping up before they start up the stang. Have fun with the nos tho i bet its as fun as the movies make it out to. DONT HIT THE RED BUTTON!!! lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL @ the red button. haha, i thought about taping buttons on my steering wheel for the hell of it haha. My car has roughly 73k on it so I may get the 155 and have fun. That should pump plenty for a 100 shot. Thanks for the info. about the grommet. Never would have thought of that.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Mine cracked and made me leak gas for 3 weeks last year right about 75k and its sad that no aftermarket places make a stronger grommet/gasket for our gas tanks i was kinda sad buying another oem replacement from ford cuz i knew that about 1,000 more hard left turns and left turn drifts in the snow and it will more than likely start tearing again lol. Its also good to replace the fuel filter for some better gas mileage. After i replaced my fuel filter, fuel pump+leaky grommet, and a cold air intake i was getting 50+ more miles to the tank. Check this guide out it helped me out alot, some of the things are different on our 96's since its a 99-04 guide but its pretty similar.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/88697-gas-tank-leaking-how-drop-your-fuel-tank-replace-filler-neck-gasket.html

Oh ya when i did it i didnt bleed the fuel pressure through the valve in the engine compartment im not sure if our cars have em like the 99-04's but i just ran the car to under a quarter tank of gas to make the tank not as heavy for removal and installation then i turned off the fuel switch in the trunk, unhook the battery and had alot of rags ready for when i disconnected the fuel lines and the fuel filter, there wasnt any pressure really and only a little bit leaked out of the fuel lines but the fuel filter was loaded with gas still so when u unhook it off make sure u dont tilt it to the left or right too much otherwise gas will start pouring out of the ends. I also disconnected my fuel lines with the gas tank halfway lowered to prevent any bending or binding on them, in his pics he has one side completely on the floor and then he unhooked his lines, its all up to you tho but its all fairly simple, just make sure with the new BBK pump that u crimp the wires good to have a good connection and whatever u do dont put any electrical tape or anything around it. If you do it will eventually just come off and be floating around in your gas tank. I did this out of paranoya of gas getting on the wires and had to drop my tank again to take off the tape, crimping the wires is fine and it doesnt matter if gas gets on them. Iv redlined alot and ran my baby hard and no kabooms yet and its been over a year now so dont let the paranoya get to you like it did me lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha ok, thanks for that link, seems very helpful. Also, just a side note, my fuel pump when i turn the key on is very noticeable. It makes the "whine" noise (I guess you could call it that) that the aftermarket pumps make. Is that normal for a stock pump?

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Yes, that whine is totally normal from a stock pump. If it were dead quiet like my TRE 255 pump that would be different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts