Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I'm about to get 3.73 gears, and I've heard some say that if they're going to open it anyway, you might as well get a better LSD. I have a '11, and I was wondering if I should buy one, or if it's not really needed?

·
BaggedandBlown
152 Posts
if you didnt get the performance package then you dont have an lsd you have independent traction. if thats the case then definitely put a posi rear in there

·
Registered
641 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
The mustang you have has a limited slip diff. in it, but if your really going to drag race a lot and beat the car hard you might consider upgrading your unit.
These cars can run from stock with just some gears to ProCharger or turbos on them. Supposedly the stock unit is just middl'in so if your going to drive hard or add more power maybe looking at a little better unit is a good idea. Some people say the aftermarket units perform markedly better also. So make your best guess and go for it, good luck!:2cents

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The mustang you have has a limited slip diff. in it, but if your really going to drag race a lot and beat the car hard you might consider upgrading your unit.
These cars can run from stock with just some gears to ProCharger or turbos on them. Supposedly the stock unit is just middl'in so if your going to drive hard or add more power maybe looking at a little better unit is a good idea. Some people say the aftermarket units perform markedly better also. So make your best guess and go for it, good luck!:2cents
Thanks!

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
if you didnt get the performance package then you dont have an lsd you have independent traction. if thats the case then definitely put a posi rear in there
Don't listen to him. I don't know where this guy got his facts from, but they're wrong.

Don't worry about upgrading your differential, that's wasted money. Our differentials are strong enough for 8PSI @ ~400+ WHP.

I'm running long tube headers, 3.55 gears and other bolt ons...My differential has been fine for 20k miles and going.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Our rear ends in the V-6 are the same as used in the 5.0. Never heard of one breaking, even with a supercharger.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I thought the new V6 axle was a 8.8 like the old GT's and the new 5.0's used a new axle?
Nope, same old live axle. The brakes did what you were thinking (v6 got the old GT's, GT got newer/larger ones on front set).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts