Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, so i bought my mustang about a month ago with the knowledge that the top was messed up a little. the price was knocked off another $400 which seemed very good at the time, until later when i found out nowhere in my area will touch it at that price. now the main problem is around the rear window, where it looks like the previous owner used black to hold the actual top on, but when i started to peel back the tape it seems like it was secure but not air tight like i would imagine it would have to be. the left part seems a little off but ive been told i might be able to reseal it, but then again i know nothing about it so i figured id ask here.

here are some pics of what the situation is:
this one shows the corner that looks really bad

side angle

2 shots of the other taped areas

it seems like the tape on the bottom wasnt really doing anything but there was a kind of open seam i could fit my finger in along the bottom so i didnt want to risk taking it off.

i know a new top would just solve all the problems but im just trying to see if there is anything i could do for now that doesnt involve black tape or shelling up about $800 during christmas

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like you are a victim of the rear window leak brudder. Mine leaks around the back window. Looks like the PO tryed to seal it up the old fashioned way. I am with you on the new top costing a pretty penny. I have even thought about doing the plastic window to cut down on the cost. But then you have a rear defroster that doesnt do anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
under further investigation with a pretty sweet 4 flashlight set up, ive checked everywhere and the actual rear window is sealed on perfectly.. on each side of the window though there is a whole about the size of a dime and a little smaller on the other side that i can poke my finger through so thats definitely the culprit. now my question is, can i try and patch the wholes, and maybe seal the outside part of the top to the window again without going through the whole new top process?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I fixed my top from leaking. I used vlp ( vinyl leather plastic) glue and vinyl. Went and got free scraps of vinyl from an upholstry shop. To fi d the leak get a bucket and pour water doen the window. Get inside the car and pull back that triangle piece behind rear seat. You should see where the water is comming in. I marked it with a dot of white paint. Cut the vinyl in a square about the size of your palm. Use lots of glue on vinyl and press againts the inside top. Then get black duck tape and tape it in place. Let it dry for 24 hours. Then put the top halfway down. You will see where the vertical and horizontal fabric cross at the corner of the window. Use more vinyl scraps and glue it on. Then I would take more blace vinyl duck tape and glue that over the vinyl piece. And then take more tape and pit it over the edges of the previous layer of tape. The idea is to seal all the edges so water does not get in. Put the top up and let it site for 24 hours. It took me several attempts but I got it. When top is fully raised nonone will see the black tape on inside or oitside. If water is comming in along the horizontal piece of vinyl and the glass that rins the whole width of car I have no idea what to tell you. When ylu poir water on the window you should see water commi g through in a steady stream. I have moved the top ip and down. Went thru car washes and at work it been subkect to down poirs. The inside is dry as a bone. You also might want to check ylur rear floor carpet. There are channels u nder the plastic trim pieces and the top. The water flows down the channels and draines undwr the car around the side skirts. If floor is wet thouse holes coild be clogged. Take off the side skirts and use a hose and flush out those holes. The previous owner might have thoight the top was leaking because of wet floors when in reality the channels were plugged up. Most likely though the top is leaking from both corners where the glass and fabric meet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
As I was writing the previous post you posted about finding the holes. Yes you can fix it. I did. Sorry for the misspelling. Using my phone with small keys. If you have any questions let me know. I could take pictures and email them to you if you want. If you cant find any upholstery shops to give hou scraps use an old laptop bad. You need to use something that is water proof. Do not use silicone. I tri ed that firs. Does not worl. Use VLP Or locktites version.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I was writing the previous post you posted about finding the holes. Yes you can fix it. I did. Sorry for the misspelling. Using my phone with small keys. If you have any questions let me know. I could take pictures and email them to you if you want. If you cant find any upholstery shops to give hou scraps use an old laptop bad. You need to use something that is water proof. Do not use silicone. I tri ed that firs. Does not worl. Use VLP Or locktites version.
thanks ill try that then. i patched up the holes for now and will try to seal em up good tomorrow when i dont have to fumble around with a phone light. my friend picked up that flex seal stuff (rubber sealant in a car) and sprayed the inside near that triangle piece you were talking about in his car and he said it worked amazingly for a hole about the size of my palm, so with 2 tiny smaller than a dime holes i was thinking give that a try for what its worth. my main problem now is the outside, its pretty peeled out (best way i can describe it) and the fabric seems stuck peeling away from the glass so when i tried to seal it on it gave me some issues

The convertible top is in two sections so you can replace only the rear glass section if needed... price for the rear section with heated glass $169

Mustang Replacement Convertible Glass Rear Window - Heated (94-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
whoa.. i misunderstood when i heard about the rear glass part as it would be just the glass :facepalm: this is definitely the only area of the top thats bad though so maybe ill try that. if i cant just seal up the outside

·
Registered
536 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright cool thanks for the help guys. instead of starting another thread i have one more question, it feels as if im going over a little bump every 5-10 feet when i have the car in reverse and have the steering wheel all the way to the left. even at like 1/2 left or straight or all the way to the right front and back there is nothing. but in the 20 or so feet i back out when im leaving work i feel about 3-4 little but noticeable bumps when backing out that way. anyone have any ideas on that? other than that the car seems perfect so just trying to tidy it all up before i start the fun work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts