Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

In the next month I'm going to be installing a few parts on my car. Below is a list of the upcoming mods:

4.10 Gears
31 spline diff and axles
SCT Tuner
MHS Bullet Stage 2NA cams
Hardballer 2 part intake

I plan on installing the gears this weekend and then takling the cams as soon as I can get them from MHS. I'm thinking within the next 3-4 weeks. I was going to buy the gear kit from AM that includes the SCT tuner, but the tuning shop here will tune my car and sell me the tuner for $600, that includes the tuner and 3 hours on the dyno.

It looked like I would save about $80 by buying the tuner through them and not AM. So I plan on just driving the car with the new gears until I can get all the other stuff installed on the car and then heading to get it tuned and the speedo adjusted, etc...

Anyway, the tuner said I need to make sure that I have adequate fuel and MAF meter on the car prior to coming for the appointment otherwise if either aren't sufficient, I will basically be charged for their time, and end up leaving without a tune.

So my question is: Given my current mods below, and the addition of the new ones above, should I plan on upgrading either the FI's and the MAF prior to going to the tuner?

Current Mods:

BBK Throttle Body
BBK Longtube Headers
BBK Shorty H-Pipe
TunableInduction CAI

None of my other mods are engine related, so I won't bore anyone with those. ;)

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
kinda off topic, but if you don't have your hardballer intake yet, I have one for sale.

as to the injectors/maf, IMO, 24lb injectors wouln't hurt, but you should be fine on the factory maf.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
^+1, the stock MAF will be fine as it's good to 360rwHP or so. However I would also recommend 24lb/h injectors.

The stock 21lb/h units are flay out at 95%+ duty cycle by 270rwHP, the 24lb/h units will get you to 300rwHP at 90%. I am running the FRPP 24lb/h EV6 injectors (p/n M-9593-AA302), they are no longer available from FRPP.

However some vendors still have them in stock and are selling them at very reasonable prices.
how much of a gain does everyone think i would get upgrading to 24lb injectors? would it be worth it?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you'll gain any horse power from the injectors alone. The size of the injector is warranted to maintain adequate fuel for the demand from your modifications.

I was asking for opinions on upgrading due to the cam and intake additions. I didn't want to get to the tuner and find out I needed more fuel.

·
Registered
678 Posts
how much of a gain does everyone think i would get upgrading to 24lb injectors? would it be worth it?
Unless your injectors are maxed out you will see no gains. Simply installing bigger injectors unless you need them will not add any power and you will need to have the car retuned.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The stock 21lb/h units are flay out at 95%+ duty cycle by 270rwHP, the 24lb/h units will get you to 300rwHP at 90%.

I thought the stock injectors for 99-04 were 19lbs???

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I thought the stock injectors for 99-04 were 19lbs???
In the very late 2002 MY Ford changed to the 21lb/h "pink" (Bosch calls them lavender) injectors, from the 19lb/h orange units. After the 1999 Cobra horsepower problems they began reviewing all HP claims and found that the 19lb/h injectors were getting to close to maxed out on the PI engines.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In the very late 2002 MY Ford changed to the 21lb/h "pink" (Bosch calls them lavender) injectors, from the 19lb/h orange units. After the 1999 Cobra horsepower problems they began reviewing all HP claims and found that the 19lb/h injectors were getting to close to maxed out on the PI engines.

good info

·
Registered
24 Posts
definitly go with 24lb injectors. you can get the recalibrated 24lb MAF if you want. of course it is bigger. i believe the recalibrated MAF is 75mm.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
definitly go with 24lb injectors. you can get the recalibrated 24lb MAF if you want. of course it is bigger. i believe the recalibrated MAF is 75mm.
The stock MAF is 80mm.

Also you do not need a "calibrated" MAF unless you are planning on running the stock tune forever--calibrated MAFS are a leftover from the early days of EFI when tunes could not be changed to support larger injectors and an external kludge was needed. They serve no purpose now except for those who do are too cheap to have a proper tune done, or too cheap and lazy to buy a tuning system and learn how to do it themselves.

Here's my blog rant about "calibrated" MAFs.

If you get the FRPP 24lb/h injectors here are the settings I have found to work best:

• low-slope: 31.46 lb/h
  • high-slope: 25.58 lb/h (it ran quite rich at WOT with the suggested 24.3lb/h)
  • breakpoint: 9.2387 μlb/rev (some tuning systems show this as 0.0000092387)
  • minimum pulse: 0.519 ms
On my '03 with minimal bolt-ons I gained 10HP peak, and a noticeable bit of grunt at 4500+ rpm and WOT, with the 24lb/h injectors (vs. the 21lb stock units) and a well tweaked tune¹.

-------------------------------------------
¹ - I had also installed Steeda's UDPs between these two trips to the dyno--their effect is not in-your-face WOW, however at higher revs you can feel their effect. If you never rev past 4000 don't bother with UDPs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts