Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a question im going to take my car to the dealer for oil change(i dont have time to it right now) do i need to go back to stock tune??? i hane BAMA R93

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Um...idk why your saying yes alex.

you don't NEED to change it back! the mechanics at my dealer never even plug into your ecu...they literally look at your oil, switch the wheels if needed and boom, done! Unless something breaks and it's the tunes fault...the mechanics could care less!

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Um...idk why your saying yes alex.

you don't NEED to change it back! the mechanics at my dealer never even plug into your ecu...they literally look at your oil, switch the wheels if needed and boom, done! Unless something breaks and it's the tunes fault...the mechanics could care less!
I agree. There is no reason why they should run a diagnostic when you are getting your oil changed. Diags cost about $100 and they arent going to do it for a simple oil change.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks so no

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
but for an oil change....idk what kind of dealer you have but a big time one doesn't have the time to do that!

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
but for an oil change....idk what kind of dealer you have but a big time one doesn't have the time to do that!
Why would you not want to put it back to stock? There is absolutely no negatives to not flashing to stock before visiting a dealer...

What if the dealer performs a quick update or decides to scan for codes?

OP save yourself a corrupt BCM and always flash back to stock.

Also if the dealer does find out about the tune, your warranty might go bye bye.

My buddy got red flagged getting an oil change, they scanned for codes and somehow noticed the tune.

SlowV6:
Stop giving shitty advice.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
I agree. There is no reason why they should run a diagnostic when you are getting your oil changed. Diags cost about $100 and they arent going to do it for a simple oil change.
They don't cost the dealer ****. That is just what they charge...

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
you should avoid letting the dealer have the car with any mods if possible.

defenately take the tune out because they often plug into cars computers to check updates/etc.

if it bothers you to take the tune out, just go to a drive thru oil change place.

a local guy took his car to the dealer for some sort of recall (not mechanically related) & dropped the car off the night before.
it was chilly that night & the cars were dew covered in the morning, when the service manager got to work he noticed in the dew no the windsheild of the local guys car the outline of his shoepolished numbers from the track, took a picture & sent it to Fords warranty dept.

they voided his warranty on the spot.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
you should avoid letting the dealer have the car with any mods if possible.

defenately take the tune out because they often plug into cars computers to check updates/etc.

if it bothers you to take the tune out, just go to a drive thru oil change place.

a local guy took his car to the dealer for some sort of recall (not mechanically related) & dropped the car off the night before.
it was chilly that night & the cars were dew covered in the morning, when the service manager got to work he noticed in the dew no the windsheild of the local guys car the outline of his shoepolished numbers from the track, took a picture & sent it to Fords warranty dept.

they voided his warranty on the spot.
Yup... This **** happens all the time.

BTW This isn't just Ford. Ford is actually pretty damn leniant.

With my BMW's I had to go to one dealership and see only one service advisor.

I have many friends with cars all across the manufacture spectrum with void warranties.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Before having a dealer service your vehicle it is ALWAYS a good practice to put the stock tune on the car if possible...I did side work at a dealership while I was in the military and we did random ECU checks per dealer regulations on the mustangs that were under factory warranty...

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Even though it doesn't make much sense for an oil change, it is always good practice to flash back to stock before taking the car to the dealership. The dealership may (not always, but its a possibility) do more to your car than you intended. Such as (others have mentioned) an update to the ECM which will leave you with a bricked tuner or worse.

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Even though it doesn't make much sense for an oil change, it is always good practice to flash back to stock before taking the car to the dealership. The dealership may (not always, but its a possibility) do more to your car than you intended. Such as (others have mentioned) an update to the ECM which will leave you with a bricked tuner or worse.
It would leave him with no warranty...And a $150 fee from SCT or whoever he has the tuner with to unlock it...The ECU only holds 1 tune and if the dealer does a TSB update then it will be back to the factory tune and he will be out some money...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Why would you not want to put it back to stock? There is absolutely no negatives to not flashing to stock before visiting a dealer...

What if the dealer performs a quick update or decides to scan for codes?

OP save yourself a corrupt BCM and always flash back to stock.

Also if the dealer does find out about the tune, your warranty might go bye bye.

My buddy got red flagged getting an oil change, they scanned for codes and somehow noticed the tune.

SlowV6:
Stop giving shitty advice.
I wouldn't exactly call it shitty....he asked if he had too, and YEAH sure if you guys feel comfortable changing it everytime then go ahead! LOL but for a SIMPLE oil change the mechanics will not update your ecu or tune check! they just wont.......end of story, they have TONS of cars (a big dealer like mine) they don't have time to do petty **** like that nor do they care!

but if we're talking other work other than a simple oil change...then obviously change it back! But most of you will learn, that the more you mod, eventually you can't go back to stock tune....so either learn to change your own oil or notify your dealer that they should NOT update your car!

oh and the red flag thing...i've never seen that happen or even heard of that happening at my dealer! lol they could not void your warranty unless something breaks and it's the tune fault!

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call it shitty....he asked if he had too, and YEAH sure if you guys feel comfortable changing it everytime then go ahead! LOL but for a SIMPLE oil change the mechanics will not update your ecu or tune check! they just wont.......end of story, they have TONS of cars (a big dealer like mine) they don't have time to do petty **** like that nor do they care!

but if we're talking other work other than a simple oil change...then obviously change it back! But most of you will learn, that the more you mod, eventually you can't go back to stock tune....so either learn to change your own oil or notify your dealer that they should NOT update your car!

oh and the red flag thing...i've never seen that happen or even heard of that happening at my dealer! lol they could not void your warranty unless something breaks and it's the tune fault!
They will note your account stating that you have modified this and that...You have a customer log...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
They will note your account stating that you have modified this and that...You have a customer log...
Agreed! i was more referring to the "they will void your warranty" right away...that is just not true or legal!

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Agreed! i was more referring to the "they will void your warranty" right away...that is just not true or legal!
They will however void your warranty on those parts...IE a CAI can void your warranty on your engine IF they can base the failure on the CAI...Which 9/10 they will...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok I return it to stock n took her for the oil change now I have another question if they see I have mods on my car will my "free oil changes for life" be affected (I know.the warranty will)

·
RIP Dennis
76,434 Posts
Ok I return it to stock n took her for the oil change now I have another question if they see I have mods on my car will my "free oil changes for life" be affected (I know.the warranty will)
Do any of the mods effect the oil? If not then the free oil changes should not change...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts