Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mother has always been very religious when i was growing up. i went to bible school and all that when i was a kid but i just could never really "believe" any of it. i would love to believe that theres a place where we all go when we die, but it just seems so make believe to me.

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
At some point I decided that I just don't care. all the religious rituals seem silly to me, and the people who take it way too seriously can be a big problem. I think religion in general is just a way for people to understand the things they don't understand, instead of accepting to just not know.

that being said I have no problems with anybody over what they believe. It's your life live it how you want, if you're not a dick to me, I won't be a dick back.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
It can seem surreal, and i have had times in my life where i felt the same as you. Some of The time i feel closest to god is when im hunting and i am immersed in nature. Or watching the two of my sons being born. For me, it is hard to believe that this is all by accident. In fact, i have rejected the idea entirely.

Im sure this has in large part been influenced by my upbringing. Some people only come to believe after they live through an experience.

Just as you cannot prove that god exists through science, you also cannot disprove. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
my mother has always been very religious when i was growing up. i went to bible school and all that when i was a kid but i just could never really "believe" any of it. i would love to believe that theres a place where we all go when we die, but it just seems so make believe to me.
I believe in God, but the whole religion thing really turns me off, particularly the whole heaven/hell aspect.

The way I see it, the concept of being rewarded or punished for how you live your life, and how well you follow some arbitrary set of rules seems very much man made. The only religion I know enough about to comment on is Christianity, and I think the whole love each other equally, be good, don't be greedy, don't try to sleep with your friend's wife, etc all make sense. It's the parts where they put a "but" in, such as being anti-homosexuality that I see the man-made aspect. It makes sense that some high ups in the church back in the day found it disgusting, and thus made it "God's Word" that it's a sin, and can be "corrected" and thus "forgiven". They see it as a mistake, and since God is perfect, he doesn't make mistakes, thus it's the person's fault they're gay, or their choice, etc. That makes no sense to me because I didn't "choose" to be straight. I didn't see a pair of breasts and a vagina alongside a cock and balls and go eenie, meenie, miney, moe... I have always naturally been drawn to women. I don't find men physically attractive, thus I am straight. I can comprehend that gay men and women find their own sex more physically attractive and are drawn to them sexually, and I can understand bisexuality too, as those who are equally attracted to both sexes.

It's logical, its sensible, and it's normal. Why do people put their own feelings down and call it "God's word"?

I also dislike how the Catholic church handles their own priests molesting children and covering up for them, paying people off instead of addressing the issue. But that's another discussion.

The way I see it, I can believe in God, and Christianity in general, without believing in the minute details. I don't know very much about the Muslim religion, except that some aspects believe that everyone must be Muslim or else. I know there are Christian groups that feel the same way about their flavor of Christianity, and are very obnoxious about recruiting, and I see them as two sides of the same coin.

What it all boils down to is that we all wonder what will happen when we die. The simple fact is no one knows, but the very concept of simply ceasing to exist, all your memories, dreams, and knowledge simply disappearing and being gone forever is a very troubling thought. It bothers me that that is every bit as possible as some concept of heaven and/or hell. I just see the basic sentiment of heaven and hell being a way to try and entice people into being "better" people by some standard.

It isn't that we don't need religion, but we, in my opinion, need to take it much less seriously than we do.

·
better than clockWise
20,483 Posts
If you start to think about it. If you take the big bang theory as your way to go or you take God as your way to go, what was before him or it? How did they come to be? If there is nothing, not even space or darkness but, nothing... how did either of them come to be?

To completely think of nothingness is a thought that I cannot even grasp. It's like looking at your hand and then a person appears. Right out of nothing. But, it's not your hand we're talking about, it's existence. In my mind, the only way for us to exist in this universe is for someone from another universe to have created it. Does that mean there is a Heaven and Jesus is waiting for us? I have no idea. Maybe it's just a massively advanced society and it was a 6 year old kid making a playground for amusement and theres 100's of universes. **** if I know. All I can really say is that 1) we just can't come from nothing. Big bang can't come from nothing. It had to ****ing come from somewhere. If something exploded to create the universe, how did the **** that got exploded get made or form? If there is nothing, there will always be nothing. For someoune outside of our universe though, outside of our ability to think of, it could be created as simply as a child taking out a blank sheet of paper and start drawing. Nothing becomes something in an instant.

·
Administrator
33,193 Posts
i was raised christian and believed in the typical god they teach about (judgmental bearded man on a throne in the sky that you're supposed to worship) but then i got older and started actually putting thought into it. i quickly realized that that just can't be true. so i was atheist for a while. but then i started thinking about the bigger picture, and had so many questions that atheism doesn't explain any better than christianity does. so i looked at what can be observed, at least to some extent. universal laws, the very existence of a universe, energy, consciousness, mathematics, time, quantum mechanics, vibrational frequencies (sound) and their effects on physical matter (cymatics), and so many other things. with that being said, i do believe there is some kind of "source" or "supreme being" whether it's a tangible thing, or the universe (multiverse?) is just a spaceless, timeless thought or dream only existing inside some kind of abstract, imaginary, intangible brain.

of course i don't have all the answers, but as an INTP i have a bad habit of taking an idea that i'm curious about and really stretching it out and analyzing it to an obsessive degree. after moving on from christianity, and then atheism, i have so say that i finally feel like i've at least reached a point of enough understanding that i'm comfortable with my beliefs. not to mention, it sure does feel liberating to live by my own moral principles rather than constantly feeling like i'm going doing things out of the fear of being punished after i die by some guy

and like others, i couldn't care less what other people believe. as long as they're not obnoxious about. which i have to say, from an unbiased standpoint, atheists usually seem to be the most obnoxious people out there when it comes to debating religion lol

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
I don't know why people think the big bang theory says there was nothing before it because that's not true. The fact is we just have no ****ing idea what was before the big bang and with our current technology, it is impossible for us to tell. there was some balance of energy and mass, the laws of conservation of energy and mass tell us this

·
better than clockWise
20,483 Posts
i was raised christian and believed in the typical god they teach about (judgmental bearded man on a throne in the sky that you're supposed to worship) but then i got older and started actually putting thought into it. i quickly realized that that just can't be true. so i was atheist for a while. but then i started thinking about the bigger picture, and had so many questions that atheism doesn't explain any better than christianity does. so i looked at what can be observed, at least to some extent. universal laws, the very existence of a universe, energy, consciousness, mathematics, time, quantum mechanics, vibrational frequencies (sound) and their effects on physical matter (cymatics), and so many other things. with that being said, i do believe there is some kind of "source" or "supreme being" whether it's a tangible thing, or the universe (multiverse?) is just a spaceless, timeless thought or dream only existing inside some kind of abstract, imaginary, intangible brain.

of course i don't have all the answers, but as an INTP i have a bad habit of taking an idea that i'm curious about and really stretching it out and analyzing it to an obsessive degree. after moving on from christianity, and then atheism, i have so say that i finally feel like i've at least reached a point of enough understanding that i'm comfortable with my beliefs. not to mention, it sure does feel liberating to live by my own moral principles rather than constantly feeling like i'm going doing things out of the fear of being punished after i die by some guy

and like others, i couldn't care less what other people believe. as long as they're not obnoxious about. which i have to say, from an unbiased standpoint, atheists usually seem to be the most obnoxious people out there when it comes to debating religion lol

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
This. This is why I don't label myself athiest, just non-religious. self proclaimed athiests, at least the ones that are always so vocal about it, just seem to be the religious equivalent of an internet troll. They seem to just want to prove other peoples beliefs wrong more than to just live their lives and let people do their own thing.

·
better than clockWise
20,483 Posts
I don't know why people think the big bang theory says there was nothing before it because that's not true. The fact is we just have no ****ing idea what was before the big bang and with our current technology, it is impossible for us to tell. there was some balance of energy and mass, the laws of conservation of energy and mass tell us this
At some point there was nothing. IDGAF how far you go back. At one point there was nothing, and then there was. think about it. It's not really even possible to think of nothing. Yet, at some point there was. There weren't just rocks in space all the time. where did space come from? where did rocks come from?

·
the U of A
1,308 Posts
i do

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
I believe that there is a man upstairs and possibly one down below. I also believe we do go some where when the time comes but I feel religion as a whole is too much. You dont need to go to church every Sunday to show that you love God and what not. He knows you better than anyone else and people should not worry about what they are doing in life and whether its wrong or right.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts