Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for options if i cant figure out my problems i am having i think i might ditch the EFI and switch to a carbd set up...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i live in delaware and i've taken several stangs that were originally efi and converted to carb and as long as the car passes the sniffer test, tank pressure test ( charcol canaster hooked up ) and has cats they pass everytime

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well s stock hood should clear most carbd set ups... u only have a lower intake and then the carb and air cleaner most times are no taller then the upper plenum..

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yeah I guess it would all depend on what intake you go with and then you'd probably need a low profile air cleaner. Drop base air cleaner.

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i agree. i am really thinking about selling all my efi stuff and get a carbd set up... easier to tune and alot cheaper.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
dude theyll take one look at it and fail you

·
Registered
825 Posts
I really like what you've done to your mustang. I'm going to have a motor built for mine soon. I'm going with a 347 also. I saw that your were going with EFI and was kind of wondering on the turn out. Looks like you changed your mind. I was wanting EFI also with the cold air and all. It's nice and alot of people get it to work for them. But it looks like more trouble than it worth. You can get the same results with a carb.

I am going with a carb set up. Haven't decieded on the upper half for my motor yet. Thinking about edlebrock intake maybe performer RPM dual plane gasket matched. Probably a 650 holley carb. See If I can squeeze a 1inch spacer under it.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
yeah i agree. i am really thinking about selling all my efi stuff and get a carbd set up... easier to tune and alot cheaper.
Hey if you want to pay for my plane ticket, I'll come out and fix it for you. I have an aunt and uncle that live in Nogales I've been meaning to visit.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i fit a 351 windsor with a victor jr intake and a nitrous plate and 750 carb under my stock hood altho i don't have room for an air cleaner

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
the only time i put an air cleaner on is when it's just sitting in my garage , i carry one of thos cheap small round ones in the car if i park somewhere where it's really dusty i'll pop the hood and sit in on the carb, i can shut the hood but there is no room for an air cleaner stud or nut, but unless it's really dusty i don't worry about it , and yes my car is a street car, i don't run an air cleaner even when it will fit incase of a nitrous backfire it will catch on fire and that's how my buddy's car almost burnt to the ground

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey if you want to pay for my plane ticket, I'll come out and fix it for you. I have an aunt and uncle that live in Nogales I've been meaning to visit.
**** i might end up having to do that lol... i just went to autozone and bought a new computer i have to pick it up tomorrow morning hopefully that helps..

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I really like what you've done to your mustang. I'm going to have a motor built for mine soon. I'm going with a 347 also. I saw that your were going with EFI and was kind of wondering on the turn out. Looks like you changed your mind. I was wanting EFI also with the cold air and all. It's nice and alot of people get it to work for them. But it looks like more trouble than it worth. You can get the same results with a carb.

I am going with a carb set up. Haven't decieded on the upper half for my motor yet. Thinking about edlebrock intake maybe performer RPM dual plane gasket matched. Probably a 650 holley carb. See If I can squeeze a 1inch spacer under it.
the only reason i am having problems is cause my car is an 88 and i took a chance by pulling a wire harness from a mustang at a junkyard then i got a computer from a car that wasnt running and liiks like it was sitting for a while.and the wire harness didnt have the distrubitor harness on it so i had to cut my old one off and solder it on this one, the fun part was and ryan proly remembers is that the colors between the harnesses didnt match so i had to figure that out first..so i have changed alot of things at once so i am going to have alot of kinks to find and try to fix..

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i think cause it is a car that was once efi if i switched it to carborated they would fail it.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
yeah dude exactly, theyll fail carb cars that dont have the charcoal canister hooked up even if it passes the sniffer, az blows, also depends on how knowledgable the guy is doing the test, its mostly ran my teenage kids, 4 of which im friends with hahaha dont ditch the dam efi dude

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just want it running i just bought a computer today i have to pick up tomorrow morning hopefully that fixes the no spark/ no fuel pump problem..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts