Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with my vortech idler pulley hitting the alternator? Every time I replace the alternator I have to grind down the face of it to get it to fit.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
No such problem here. Id imagine that can be a pain to bother with though if you go through alternators all the time.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No such problem here. Id imagine that can be a pain to bother with though if you go through alternators all the time.
how far away is that pulley from touching? I had to grind down about 1/8" off.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Just shim it out. Obviously its not lined up. I had mine perfect but when i got it back from Houston Performance (most shittiest shop in america (**** them)) the blower pulley was all over the alternator and then the belt broke within a mile. I had to shim it out and get it running straight. All good since!

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
oh damn... i guess the prochargers have a lil more room for it then and may be done differently. i shimmed it everywhere that the blower bracket bolts to the motor. Do you mean that the screws are too short?

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Speaking of what baker said im guessing youre using the long spacer that goes between the alternator and front of the engine right? If not tighting the bolt its meant for (bottom left facing the car/engine) could cause the alternator to be out of line/pull towards the pulley its hitting.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
ive never seen how a vortech is bolted on so i guess im not much help. I just know mine rubbed but i just shimmed it out where needed to get the pulleys running straight and not rubbing. I think there is 3 or 4 holes that hold the bracket to the motor. I had to shim out the one closest to the alternator where my spacer is. It never rubbed till Houston Performance goofy ****s ****ed it up!

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that long spacer is what I'm using. It's a really tight fit. Everything looks lined up and the belt is riding right in the center of the idler pulley. It just seems like the pulley was designed to be wider than it needs to be. The belt isn't anywhere near that wide.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
I wonder if you could "slot" the bracket on the top of the alternator and suck the alternator back off of the pulley. All you need is 1/8th inch or so of a gap. Just hit the gas and see if it torques into the alternator still.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
because of my different intake, i had to make a bracket for the top of my alternater and ^ is what i did but not slotted, just drilled the holes where i wanted them to kinda pull the alt off the pulley.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
because of my different intake, i had to make a bracket for the top of my alternater and ^ is what i did but not slotted, just drilled the holes where i wanted them to kinda pull the alt off the pulley.
i have 2 slotted pieces of metal as brackets for the same reason but i cant pull the altenator back anymore

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Damn bro... im all out. Only thing i can suggest is shimming it off a lil bit somehow. Only other option would be to

Find out how much of the idler you can do without and take grinder and get to it on the idler for about an 1/8th"

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i already tried grinding the idler down and had to by a new one.. 1/8" completely cuts off the part that stops the belt slipping off, not that it would but it would be better if the pulley was 1/4" thinner

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
bro are you sure you can but a small washer between your blower bracket and spacer?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
screw just not long enough?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Just try it on the spacer part. I only have mine on the spacer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts