Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this 07 Mustang used 2 weeks ago. The has something stuck on it like the previous owner hit or drove through something and it splattered on the drivers side behind the front well just on the underside of the skirt and behind the rear well just on the bumper, not on the quarter panel.

I have tried clay, 3M wax and adhesive remover and stoners bug and wax remover all did nothing to it. You can't even scrape it off with your finger nail.
Any ideas? What it is and how to remove?

Its yellowish and has a rubber or silicon feel to it maybe. I'm stumped!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the one shot of the front.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Could be yellow road paint. Try to scratch it off harder with your finger nail. Sometimes tar left on it too long will cause problems and wont come off as well as it should with the bug and tar remover.

I say it is faded yellow road paint that was partially taken off and left marks from the residue and whatever was in the paint that "burned" in

·
Registered
789 Posts
Can you feel it when you rub your hand over it? If so clay bar should of got it. Maybe its tar? If its under the clear coat your kinda tucked...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be yellow road paint. Try to scratch it off harder with your finger nail. Sometimes tar left on it too long will cause problems and wont come off as well as it should with the bug and tar remover.

Does it feel like there is a difference between paint and the spots? Are the spots on top of the paint or as they into it as in further down (kind of like how a dent would be, scratches??)
I tried pretty good with the finger nail. It is above the paint it is a rough feel when you rub your hand across it. Its def splattered on the car and wasn't removed quick enough. The weird thing is, is this is the 2nd used car I bought here (different dealers) and they both had this problem.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you feel it when you rub your hand over it? If so clay bar should of got it. Maybe its tar? If its under the clear coat your kinda tucked...
Nope clay did nothing to it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even the guy at Auto Zone was stumped.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
Yellow paint from the road left marks. Try some 3000 grit sand paper. Easy wet sanding, rub it out, wax, polish, call it and easy day.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yellow paint from the road left marks. Try some 3000 grit sand paper. Easy wet sanding, rub it out, wax, polish, call it and easy day.
I will have to try that one of these days. Thanks. I wonder if a hot pressure washer would weaken it?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
I think it might but you can always try the back of a sponge and hot hot hot water with some degreaser or even dawn dish soap

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
tell the dealer you will return it if they can't get it off or fix it. of course i'm guessing it's been to long to return it for real. you never know though. sometimes (not often) they will do the customer right

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
3000 grit is like just a little rougher than your hand. Dont use anything below 2000 though. The rubbing compound will help bring the shine back, the wax will make it look tits and the polish will make your orgasm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3000 grit is like just a little rougher than your hand. Dont use anything below 2000 though. The rubbing compound will help bring the shine back, the wax will make it look tits and the polish will make your orgasm.
Well when I got the car I clay barred it and then did swirl remover and then a coat of wax and then yesterday I put one more coat of wax and it is shining.

I know a little about detailing. I love to do it. Hopefully I can get that crap off.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Even the guy at Auto Zone was stumped.
LOLOLOLOLOL obviously, they rarely aren't.

you can try kerosene and re-waxing afterwards. next time you buy a car there, tell them you want the bumper re-sprayed as part of the deal.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOLOLOLOLOL obviously, they rarely aren't.

you can try kerosene and re-waxing afterwards. next time you buy a car there, tell them you want the bumper re-sprayed as part of the deal.
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I knew someone sooner or later was going to make a joke on that.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Use lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol to take it off. You will NOT damage the paint, you will NOT damage the clear coat. You WILL remove the stuff on your paint. I've done this for 20+ years on every single car I've owned when I get tar/paint/unidentified crud on the paint. It works.

Ok. Let's see how many people who have not ever used lacquer thinner or denatured alcohol chime in to say "don't use that."

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah the sandpaper is prolly best bet. remember the higher the grade the finer it is. 3000 is like notebook paper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts