Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as most of u know i just rebuilt my t-5 it works great shifts nice feels great but the only problem i have and almost everyone i talk to has is if u try to go stright into reverse you grind the **** out of it unless u put into 5th first.. i put new syncros in it everything is fresh but it always does it.. i bet it has to do with my clutch not disengageing all the way when i replace the cable and or clutch itself i bet it will fix that...

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Yeah going into any gear then into reverse works and yes I have the same issue. Anyone have any parts for sale, pm me

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
sean, you should know after having rebuilt your T5 that reverse doesn't have a synchro. That's why it grinds. It shouldn't grind if you start the car with the clutch in and go straight to reverse, but any other way will result in reverse grinding.

To test if your clutch is not disengaging, start the car, put it in neutral, and let the clutch all the way out. Put the clutch back in and count out ten seconds and then try to put it in reverse. If it still grinds, your clutch is not disengaging.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, I don’t know what I do different but mine rarely grinds in reverse. Don’t get me wrong if I am in a rush and try to jam it in there it might, but it will still slip right in. I really don’t have any problems with grinding in reverse. Maybe just try to be genital and finesse it in there, that’s my only thought.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
auto correct spell check mistake?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sean, you should know after having rebuilt your T5 that reverse doesn't have a synchro. That's why it grinds. It shouldn't grind if you start the car with the clutch in and go straight to reverse, but any other way will result in reverse grinding.

To test if your clutch is not disengaging, start the car, put it in neutral, and let the clutch all the way out. Put the clutch back in and count out ten seconds and then try to put it in reverse. If it still grinds, your clutch is not disengaging.
ya i always think that 5th is part of reverse...lol man i feel dumb now i can rebuild theses things all day long but i still dont know how everything works lol

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
mines never grinded dude and you know my clutch is done, oh yeah im having the guy with the turbo stang (which is all motor now he got pissed) do my clutch today cuz he can do it in like an hour and i dont feel like doing it

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
I always have problems with mine... I have to come to a complete stop, put it in a forward gear then **** it into reverse and i still can have it clicking and clanking from time to time

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mines never grinded dude and you know my clutch is done, oh yeah im having the guy with the turbo stang (which is all motor now he got pissed) do my clutch today cuz he can do it in like an hour and i dont feel like doing it
there is no way he can do your clutch in an hour... if he can u can bet there is gonna be **** effed up with it..lol

make sure he goes and gets your flywheel resurfaced and u might as well put a new pilot bearing in there while its out..

did u ever get a new steel bearing retainer???
if not tell him to look and see what shape yourse is in,its proly ok but just to be on the safe side..

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
yeah there is no way it can be done in an hour. I think I spent about 5 hours the last time I did mine and that is not including getting the flywheel resurfaced.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
+1 kind of surprised that many people didnt know reverse isnt synchro

get an sn95 or newer and you will have a synchro reverse
Even the T-45's suck. My reverse gear takes 4 tries to get it in, and it pops out all the damn time. I hate it, i think it has a bad 5th/reverse shift fork. Time to rebuild it.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
there is no way he can do your clutch in an hour... if he can u can bet there is gonna be **** effed up with it..lol

make sure he goes and gets your flywheel resurfaced and u might as well put a new pilot bearing in there while its out..

did u ever get a new steel bearing retainer???
if not tell him to look and see what shape yourse is in,its proly ok but just to be on the safe side..

i bought a new flywheel cuz mines been resurfaced and new pilot and throwout bearings, him and his friend are gona do it and i wouldnt put it past them dude hes done it prob 50 times and is doing it in a shop with a lift and gods amount of tools

1 - 20 of 52 Posts