Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't driven the car very much because I'm still learning about it. But does the turbo burn oil? I have added oil once , and I might have to add again? . It does throw some smoke. It doesn't over heat. It actually doesn't get all the way to normal operating temp. It's been pretty cold out. So it hangs a little under normal. Is this what they call blow by? I believe some of the oil may be evaporating through the breather filters where the pcv valve used to be. There's a breather filter on each valve cover. And I have seen a little mist coming from the driver side. Haven't paid attention to the passenger side one. Any advice anyone? Sorry for all the questions...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
alright, lets start from the too. so you bought a car with a turbo on it?

do turbos burn oil? yes they can, if they are getting too much oil. if the proper oil restrictor isn't used it can blow the seals out in the turbo and cause it to burn oil.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright, lets start from the too. so you bought a car with a turbo on it?

do turbos burn oil? yes they can, if they are getting too much oil. if the proper oil restrictor isn't used it can blow the seals out in the turbo and cause it to burn oil.
Yes. And everything was fine with it.
It really doesn't do it all the time either.
Maybe my oil weight? I've put 5w20 in it . But I've seen you're supposed to use a heavier weight?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Oil weight would depend on the tolerances the engine was built with. Normally the engine builder will recommend a weight based on the clearances he built it to.

On a stock 4.6, it's recommend to run 5/30.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I run 6 qts of 5w 30 on my stock engine even tho Ford says 5w20. 5w20 was recommended so ford could say a certain mpg rating but these motors were built around 5w30.

They also say 5qts but 6 qts puts me at full. A lot of other people do the same.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil weight would depend on the tolerances the engine was built with. Normally the engine builder will recommend a weight based on the clearances he built it to.

On a stock 4.6, it's recommend to run 5/30.
I'll have to get in touch with the guy i bought it from to figure that out.i wasn't the one who built it or had it done. But the oil cap on this boosted one and my previous gt both say 5w20. And since 5w30 is recommended should I use one step up to 5w40 maybe? I was reading through forums seeing guys saying they're running 10wxx in their boosted application

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run 6 qts of 5w 30 on my stock engine even tho Ford says 5w20. 5w20 was recommended so ford could say a certain mpg rating but these motors were built around 5w30.

They also say 5qts but 6 qts puts me at full. A lot of other people do the same.
Ah they love to beat around the bush don't they.
I also have to use 6 to get filled

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually turbos do eat oil, but not by directly burning it unless your seals are bad. Remember turbos get very hot. Good, but not excessive oil flow is very important to lube the bearing and carry heat away from them. Thus the oil does get very hot as it passes through the turbo, but it is cooled again as it enters the bulk oil supply. But, the momentary heating does degrade it. Thus you need to change the oil more often in a turbo car than in a non turbo car. Also boosted cars can have more blowby especially if your rings are getting a bit dodgey. More cylinder charge = higher cylinder pressure. PCV helps vent this, but the thin oil film on the cylinders will still pick this up which means that it ends up in the oil. Again, your oil's lube properties get degraded.
So, yes turbos will eat oil about twice as fast as a NA motor from the needed oil changes.
Bill W

·
Registered
4,557 Posts

I believe ford changed from 5 to 6 quarts in 02. My 00 gt had the 5 quart dipstick and my 02 gt has the 6 quart dipstick.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'll have to get in touch with the guy i bought it from to figure that out.i wasn't the one who built it or had it done. But the oil cap on this boosted one and my previous gt both say 5w20. And since 5w30 is recommended should I use one step up to 5w40 maybe? I was reading through forums seeing guys saying they're running 10wxx in their boosted application
I plan on running the same weight of oil now that I'm boosted. 5/30. I can't really provide insight on your specific engine/setup. Mod motors generally have tighter clearances plus the camshafts are on top and they have the whole front cover to lube the chains, guides, etc....I would run as thin of oil as you can get away with to allow good flow and lubricity throughout the engine. I would run 6-7 qts of it. I personally run 7 qts in my stock longblock 2V.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The 99-01 online owners manual says to run 5 quarts of 5W30 conventional.
http://shnack.com/docs/1999_owner_guide.pdf

The 02-04 online owners manual says to run 6 quarts of 5W20 synthetic blend.
http://shnack.com/docs/2002_owner_guide.pdf

Our oil pans are exactly the same an can hold far more than 5 quarts of oil without interfering with the crank. Here is 6 quarts:

Here is 7 quarts:

Here is 9 quarts:

As was said before, there were huge fines if Ford did not make the fuel mileage requirement so they added one quart and switched 5W20 synthetic blend. I have never run 5 quarts of 5W30 conventional oil. I'm a big fan of full synthetic oil and I was running 5 quarts of Quaker State 5W30 full synthetic. Their was an oil change station just down the street from where I worked so I didn't change my own oil.

About the time I retired and started changing my own oil I read a post from a guy that blew up his motor running hard one quart low. The return passages on our motors are small. It is possible to pump the oil pan dry. That was when I decided to go to 6 quarts instead of 5. I also switched to Mobile 1 0W30 full synthetic for better cold start protection.

Here is 4 quarts (one quart low):

After you start the motor around 1 1/2 to 2 quarts are pulled up into the motor. Here is 2 1/2 quarts:

I got tired of seeing overfill on the dipstick all the time so I bought a new 02-04 dipstick. I had read that the only change that Ford made was to shorten the dipstick. I laid the two dipsticks side by side and the 02-04 dipstick was shorter. It now takes exactly 6.5 quarts of oil during an oil change to hit the full mark. That is exactly the same amount as my 1998 F-150 4.2L truck.

My car is supercharged and used very little oil. The bearing tolerances in older engines are greater due to wear. Somewhere around the 180,000 mile mark my motor was using about a quart of oil per 3,000 miles. That is nothing to be concerned about if you are running 6.5 quarts. Some mechanics say to add on level thicker oil if it starts using a little due to age so I changed to Mobile 1 0W40 full synthetic European blend. It has the added advantage of containing 1000 ppm ZDDP which was the oil standard when our motors were built. Since ZDDP can harm the catalytic converters and since the EPA has mandated that cats last 120,000 miles the oil companies have been constantly reducing ZDDP levels in oil. Most oils are down to 650 ppm.

Here is a thread you might want to read.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/292127-grade-oil-should-you-use.html

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
What does your drain line look like? What size is it and what angle is it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts