Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the safe play would be to replace the intake. But there is no obvious leaks, just seepage which leads me to believe that gasket has failed. I'd rather spend $20 replacing gaskets than $300 to unnecessarily replace an intake manifold. What are your guys' thoughts?

[/url]Image by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1602 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_1601 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
The pics arent loading but if its just a little I wouldnt worry too much about it. Our cars are known to leak coolant from the resivour cap, manifold gaskets and thermostat housing. I have a leak that will fill up the spark plug wells on bank 2 if I dont start the car often. I think its from dry rotted gaskets though. You can do a pressure test on the cooling system if youre worried though.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pics arent loading but if its just a little I wouldnt worry too much about it. Our cars are known to leak coolant from the resivour cap, manifold gaskets and thermostat housing. I have a leak that will fill up the spark plug wells on bank 2 if I dont start the car often. I think its from dry rotted gaskets though. You can do a pressure test on the cooling system if youre worried though.
I did do a pressure test. It bleeds off about 1 psi per minute or so. I couldnt detect any leaks in the radiator hoses under pressure. I was initially worried about a head gasket but I did a compression test on the driver's side bank where the seepage is and the compression was excellent - every cylinder had 175-190 psi. So Im back to suspecting a seeping intake manifold or gasket. I just dont want to spend $300 on the FRPP manifold at the moment, if I dont have to.

·
Registered
379 Posts
That looks more like the gasket between the head and the block verses the head and intake manifold. I had to replace my intake manifold last summer due to the infamous heater core hose failure, and that gasket is much lower into the engine than the intake manifold gasket.

The intake gasket should be more up here:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I did do a pressure test. It bleeds off about 1 psi per minute or so. I couldnt detect any leaks in the radiator hoses under pressure. I was initially worried about a head gasket but I did a compression test on the driver's side bank where the seepage is and the compression was excellent - every cylinder had 175-190 psi. So Im back to suspecting a seeping intake manifold or gasket. I just dont want to spend $300 on the FRPP manifold at the moment, if I dont have to.
What were the numbers for each cylinder? Just because you have good compression doesnt mean the head gasket is good. You could have a leak between a coolant passage and the side of the block. And was the engine warm? A leak can be worse when warm because the difference in expansion rates of the aluminum heads and iron block.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What were the numbers for each cylinder? Just because you have good compression doesnt mean the head gasket is good. You could have a leak between a coolant passage and the side of the block. And was the engine warm? A leak can be worse when warm because the difference in expansion rates of the aluminum heads and iron block.
Im pretty certain the head gasket is OK. The engine was cold and I dont have the specific numbers anymore but it was something like 175, 185, 185, and 190 (cylinders 5-8) they were all ~5-10% of each other - well within acceptable margins.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

That looks more like the gasket between the head and the block verses the head and intake manifold. I had to replace my intake manifold last summer due to the infamous heater core hose failure, and that gasket is much lower into the engine than the intake manifold gasket.

The intake gasket should be more up here:
If you look close, you can see the greenish coolant flowing down the cylinder head towards the valley of the engine block - so the coolant is coming from above - where the manifold sits on the head. There does appear to be some seepage on the actual head gasket, but at this point, I'm reasonably sure the head gasket is not compromised.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Got'cha, if it's the intake manifold gasket then replace the old one with this one and never worry about it again. When I replaced my intake manifold my mechanic (who used to be a Ford tech and knows these engines like the back of his hand) said that this gasket is the best on the market. I guess the OEM gasket is notorious for going bad.

It's really easy and simple replacing that gasket. You can remove the intake with the plenum and fuel rail still attached. You'll just need a quick release tool to disconnect the fuel line. Then you can inspect the intake and determine if the intake is bad or just the gasket. Either way you're going to have to replace the gasket because it's a single use gasket.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got'cha, if it's the intake manifold gasket then replace the old one with this one and never worry about it again. When I replaced my intake manifold my mechanic (who used to be a Ford tech and knows these engines like the back of his hand) said that this gasket is the best on the market. I guess the OEM gasket is notorious for going bad.

It's really easy and simple replacing that gasket. You can remove the intake with the plenum and fuel rail still attached. You'll just need a quick release tool to disconnect the fuel line. Then you can inspect the intake and determine if the intake is bad or just the gasket. Either way you're going to have to replace the gasket because it's a single use gasket.
No worries - Ive done the job before - my concern isnt the work - its very straightforward - its buying a new intake

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,539 Posts
These plastic intakes do not last forever. Mine broke where the heater hose attached about three years ago. It was 15 years old at the time. If that is the original intake manifold on your car then it is 14 years old. I recommend you replace it when you change the gasket. If you don't you will likely be doing it all over again before long.

Actually, if its the original intake manifold it is probably pretty fragile at this point. You are likely to break it just taking it off.

·
Registered
379 Posts
No worries - Ive done the job before - my concern isnt the work - its very straightforward - its buying a new intake
Look at this Facebook group. I saw a couple pop up in the last couple days for around $100-150. That will be your best bet to get an FRPP one without paying retail price. Or you could just ignore it and get a roots or PD supercharger and remove the intake altogether! :3gears

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the FB group! When it comes to intakes - I'll buy once cry once - and bite the bullet to get a new FRPP instead of messing with a used one of indeterminate age.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'd pull the intake off. The intake gaskets may be good but the intake might not. I found on mine the plastic itself seemed to rot around water port.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If the manifold was cracked and leaking I think you'd have alot more coolant. I would replace the gasket but if you have the funds you could upgrade the intake manifold since you have to take it off.

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts
You will be able to tell what is causing the leak after you pull the intake manifold. Mine lasted to about 115k before it let go. I went to a procomp as it was nearly the same price as the PI manifold. Now I have a vic jr and wont look back.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You will be able to tell what is causing the leak after you pull the intake manifold. Mine lasted to about 115k before it let go. I went to a procomp as it was nearly the same price as the PI manifold. Now I have a vic jr and wont look back.
Sweet - I didnt even know that a Procomp manifold even existed. I want to maintain stock appearance, and even if I could get a teensy bit of a performance increase from it, I would be thrilled.

What was your opinion of the Procomp manifold?

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Nevermind - finding a Procomp manifold right now is like finding a unicorn. I called speedmaster and they said they are out of stock with an expected delivery of 3-9 months!

·
Hardcore Enthusiast
1,577 Posts
Sweet - I didnt even know that a Procomp manifold even existed. I want to maintain stock appearance, and even if I could get a teensy bit of a performance increase from it, I would be thrilled.

What was your opinion of the Procomp manifold?

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Nevermind - finding a Procomp manifold right now is like finding a unicorn. I called speedmaster and they said they are out of stock with an expected delivery of 3-9 months!
Too bad just sold mine like two weeks ago they are basically a factory manifold but in all aluminum form. They are heavier and can get slightly more heat soak, but you never have to worry about them cracking.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts