Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to run a test and tune at the 1/8th strip on Friday so I could compare how I run now versus when I get all my performance parts put on in October (overtime). I went up against a 2003 V6 Auto with only intake. I run a 2004 V6 Auto with only intake. How could there be this much of a difference? Does this look like a normal speed for my car and maybe he lied and had more done to it than he said?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I believe a .5 second difference in the 60ft will translate to about the time difference recorded for the 1/8th.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not doubting the software, the guy beat me hands down. I'm just trying to find out how this guy blew me out of the water. Is my car slower than what should have been expected, or did this guy have more done to his car than he said he did?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
was his car a convertible like yours? Cause if not, you have quite a bit of weight on him.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Could have been a factor. He had a hard top.

I ran into this calculator...estimated I'm only running 133.64 HP at the Fly. Making me worried something is wrong with the car.
Estimate 1/8-Mile Horsepower Requirements from MPH
Enter Vehicle Weight with Driver: 3479
Enter Vehicle MPH: 64.19
Estimated - HP @ Flywheel: 133.64

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think verts are 200-300 lbs heavier than coupes... and every 100lbs is a tenth in the quarter mile...

so that along with the bad 60ft seems about right... get that 60ft down and you'll be doing a lot better

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, it's an auto. Aside from taking off the overdrive and flooring it what else could I have done? My reaction time wasn't bad...had a little big of a problem hooking up at the very beginning, but that was it.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yeah I think that's all it is. Just get that launch down, lower the 60ft, and you'll see improvement. 250lbs doesn't help with bein a vert... and I wouldn't trust those hp calculators... who knows ya know? Get it on a dyno to know for sure. Or maybe someone here can use that calc to see what it says their hp is to compare it to actual dyno #'s they already have. Annnndd of course there's some mods you could do, to start some DR's and a shift kit, maybe 4.10s?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Lol, it's an auto. Aside from taking off the overdrive and flooring it what else could I have done? My reaction time wasn't bad...had a little big of a problem hooking up at the very beginning, but that was it.
Again, taking off overdrive doesn't do diddly ****. It shuts off 4th gear, and thats all. Youll never hit 4th gear in the 1/4 anyways unless your running some insanely steep rear end or you have 350 hp.

But, you could try torque braking. Thats what i do and my sixty ft times are sub 2.3s

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hmm... a 12.180 in the 1/8th is TYPICALLY going to translate to high 18's in the 1/4. I don't care WHAT your 60' is (within reason), you shouldn't be running way into the 18's.

More concerning to me than the ET is the trap speed. Being that your cars are quite similar other than the fact yours is a vert and you had a worse launch, trapping 10mph less than him is a LOT.

Because trap speeds don't fluctuate quite as much as ETs based on the launch and such, I'd take a look at what some other stock-ish auto 99-04s (specifically verts, if you can find them) have trapped.

That is a much better indication of whether it was just a bad run, or if your car is not making the power it should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts