Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i need to see what im giving my car for christmas:D. So i dont know nothing about cams at all, ive looked around have an understanding but dont know anything.

My quesion is just cams right now, no head work. Which ones would be good for n/a nothing big, like a mild set up. I will be using nitrous later on.

Options that i know of: comp cams, Gt cams or fr500 cams. In order how do these stand.

If u have pages of imformantion, i will read it

Thanks for the help

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
GT cams will net you the smallest gains of the ones you listed. You're looking at about a 10hp increase maybe. There are varying opinions on these cams. If you're going to have work done to the car and you're not doing it yourself you might as well fork over the extra cash and get it done right the first time (power wise).

If you plan on driving the car daily and you just want a nice gain then you don't want to go over a stage 2 cam. Comp cams alone will run you $1200 and then you have to get upgraded springs and various other parts. For the money and from what you're saying you want the FR500 set is probably the route you want to take since it comes with everything you need for the swap.

One other option is to get a ported short runner intake or just a ported intake. The ported short runner, on Machs anyway, yields about 10-15 hp more than an already ported intake (10rwhp gain generally). If you want to have your intake ported PM Sweet2kstang here and he'll hook you up. Oh and also with a ported short runner your RPM range increases so you don't lose power at ~6000 and instead it will jump to ~7000+. If you're going to rev your engine that high though it's probably best to upgrade to forged internals.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i was hoping not to take the head off the car, just install cams. until later on when im ready for the head work, i would take the head off

but reading some other things i found i would have to do the timing on the car, so if the head was taken off it wouldnt matter cause i have to do the timing.

so p&p short runner intake would be the next best mod?? What else can be done?

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I say do the full FR500 cam kit w/valves. that would get you a great gain and well its just bad ass

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Get your heads ported lightly, have thm sent out over winter, and do an intake , or buy my ported Sullivan, and billet fuels rails.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what you want for you ported sullivan?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GT cams will net you the smallest gains of the ones you listed. You're looking at about a 10hp increase maybe. There are varying opinions on these cams. If you're going to have work done to the car and you're not doing it yourself you might as well fork over the extra cash and get it done right the first time (power wise).

If you plan on driving the car daily and you just want a nice gain then you don't want to go over a stage 2 cam. Comp cams alone will run you $1200 and then you have to get upgraded springs and various other parts. For the money and from what you're saying you want the FR500 set is probably the route you want to take since it comes with everything you need for the swap.

One other option is to get a ported short runner intake or just a ported intake. The ported short runner, on Machs anyway, yields about 10-15 hp more than an already ported intake (10rwhp gain generally). If you want to have your intake ported PM Sweet2kstang here and he'll hook you up. Oh and also with a ported short runner your RPM range increases so you don't lose power at ~6000 and instead it will jump to ~7000+. If you're going to rev your engine that high though it's probably best to upgrade to forged internals.
now im thinking of the nazty psr, from what ive read it should be an easy 20hp shouldnt it? my bottom is forged, i have manley pistons .20, manley rods and my cobra crank. maybe ill just stop at those mods and install the nitrous kit i have.

I want an eclipse:cool:

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
Son of a *****. I'd buy that FR500 kit if I were you. And Naz is having some serious problems right now. It seems everyone in his immediate family and himself are having health issues. And he's having a hard time getting intakes out. If I had $900 now I'd grab that FR500 kit in a heartbeat. Too bad this wasn't 3 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
ive got some comps and love them. but ive heard good things about the FR500 kit as well. NAZ is going through alot right now with family so i would just keep myself aware that his turn around, as MACHBOY stated, is long. IMHO though, if you are gonna do the cams to get a better gain go ahead and send off to get some head work done.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
The biggest advantage with the FR500 kit is you get the valves. The fr500 valves are worked over and superior to stock so dollar for dollar that is the best path IMO. Plus you are getting all new valve train components and if you add all those up seperatly you are getting a good deal with that kit.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea, i just dont know how to do cams yet, so i cant buy it. and im not paying 900 bucks for a psr...thats way too much im geting a used one like 500-700

i was thinkin of buying some used cams, their ussaully cheaper

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Just wait to you can do it all at once man. You'll get a better price, and you can get everything right at once time.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if i find a cheap psr ill buy it, but im just going to do the che brace i order, weld the axle tubes, mac differential cover and go find the fuel adapter to install the nitrous

ill practice on a eclipse head (p&p) and assemble it see how that works out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts