Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a stock engine from Powertrain Products in January of this year.I did a lot of research on stock engines and according to their webpage they build a premium engine with an awesome warranty.They claim to build engines out of premium cores only and according to website engine would be great replacement engine.
WELL that may not be true ,my engine has since 500 miles had a small noise on startup after an oil change which didnt really concern me too much because I hear that a lot with these engines. Well today when Kurgan took my camshafts out they found that the cam towers on my heads have been bored out for bearings/bushings which to me says these heads were not premium cores and should have been scrapped?? That's not the worst part .......HALF of their bearing on one tower was not even in there it was missing. Somehow this doesn't seem to have damaged anything but I have to order and wait on these bearings to be delivered before my cams can be installed. So premium engine? ....somehow I doubt that they are.:facepalm:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, and since I have already opened their engine as they state without any reason or problem " their hands are tied " I knew I would void my warranty by doing this ...no big deal but it kinda stings to know that they have lied to me and others by stating they only use premium cores which obviously is not true

·
Registered
808 Posts
Damn and here I thought everything on the internet was true......
You need to contact the BBB and report them. Even telling that company you are doing it may change their attitude. You have nothing to lose.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That sucks! Good time to upgrade heads, call MHS and get a set!

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Done correctly, there isn't anything wrong with running a replaceable bearing shell at one or even all of the cam journals. That being said, anyone could have told you that engines from the typical reman houses aren't exactly "premium" units.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would be concerned if there was supposed to be a bushing and it was gone too, but the fact that they took the trouble to true up the bores and install bushings is a good sign. It just depends on their definition of "premium", maybe it is just policy to true up the cam bores regardless. I would want that if whether considered the parts to be premium, elite, platinum or what have you.
The missing bearing is most likely just a mistake, but at this stage they can claim your shop simply lost them.
If no damage then just count your blessings and move on, it's just not worth it to hassle over especially if there is no harm.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i can promise you we didnt just lose it,it was never there
Oh they did try to say that and that's when I told them to just not worry about it but I would do some great advertising for them so that's exactly what I intend to do after all the name KURGAN MOTORSPORTS/ BOB KURGAN is the well known as being one of the best shops in he country with great customer service and they dont lose parts to an engine while disassembling it. Until a google search for engine rebuilders found these guys I had never heard of them. The only reason I purchased a REMAN engine was due to down time. I had the engine delivered complete and had a good friend swap it out for me over a weekend and didnt lose any time at work so it was convenient but I learned my lesson....BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE THEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT! With that said as soon as possible I will be starting to collect parts to build my next engine since who knows what else the builder did that was second rate

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
That sucks! Good time to upgrade heads, call MHS and get a set!
^^+1

Your sig pic is disgusting, What goes in to ripping that front end off the ground like that?

On topic: You live and you learn :/ unfortunatly the hard way, It could always be worse though man, youll just have to make the next one dirty and like I said previously, **** em all.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Oh they did try to say that and that's when I told them to just not worry about it but I would do some great advertising for them so that's exactly what I intend to do after all the name KURGAN MOTORSPORTS/ BOB KURGAN is the well known as being one of the best shops in he country with great customer service and they dont lose parts to an engine while disassembling it. Until a google search for engine rebuilders found these guys I had never heard of them. The only reason I purchased a REMAN engine was due to down time. I had the engine delivered complete and had a good friend swap it out for me over a weekend and didnt lose any time at work so it was convenient but I learned my lesson....BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE THEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'VE GOT! With that said as soon as possible I will be starting to collect parts to build my next engine since who knows what else the builder did that was second rate
Amen.
Especially with all the pointing fingers that goes on when something is broke it is almost impossible to get reconsiliation. Many of these companies make it hard to prove that it was their fault by making it mandatory that their guys look at it (which is normally a major PITA), or calling into question the shop you choose to correct the issue.
I think if it was my shop i would atleast pay for the new cam bearings and cover you if the engine failed down the road for X number of miles, but legal may interpret that as an admission of guilt in which case I would just take it on the chin and make it right whether I knew for sure if I was wrong or not.
Bad publicity is something to consider.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I honestly just hope to prevent anyone else from falling for their bs .They even offered a no fault warranty which i stupidly took at an added $249 .And that exactly right if their engine gives any problem according to their rep they just send you another engine which I guess is ok but all the down time fluids and they pay labor according to their book not your shop so in the end you would still get screwed. My next engine wont be stock so all this warranty crap wont matter anyway .I just hate being lied to and a company misrepresenting what they do. That being said I can hardly wait to get it back and see what it does

·
Registered
792 Posts
If they are willing to send another engine and pay flat rate labor if you have an issue I would jump all over that if your engine fails (hopefully not). Take the money and do it yourself ;). Alas...when something breaks all warranties and insurance do is just help the end user with cost. Never get off scott free when this stuff happens.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My engine warranty is void because I opened it up, which I understand and have no problem with. my point of this post is that these people Powertrain products are not building the quality engine they claim to be and hopefully I can prevent others from making the mistake I made

·
The Little 2v That Could
1,623 Posts
What a bunch of pussies, its pretty much entrapment, they warrantly the motor and if you find out somethings wrong (cracking it open) then the warranty is void. How the **** would you know if somethings wrong before actually opening the motor? If i were you I'd put fuk Powertrain Products in my signature that way its on every post you had or will make.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
ask them how opening it up voids the warranty and how opening it up is going to change/cause etc the failure, Id send that question from a lawyer letter head, along with a detailed list of down time expenses, shipping, and any other monetary expense from this. Then if you get a refund, just go buy a junkyard engine from LQK and be done with it

·
Premium Member
13,582 Posts
If you used a Credit card call and report FRAUD. They are not honoring the no fault warranty which makes the transaction a fraudulent one. The fact that you paid another shop to install an upgrade does not escape the fact that the motor was still under warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.