Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the strips going down the side of the car which appear to be like a guard. Does anyone know how to remove them. A lot of the stangs that i see dont have them and it looks a whole lot better than the ones that do have these guards. If you could help i would apreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
They are held on with double sided tape. If you apply heat to them with a hairdryer, use a credit card to start lifting the end of the moulding, then pull it off while still applying heat to the tape. If you pull it slow, the chances of it coming off in one piece are better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about the paint though? wont it get messed up from the tape

·
So say we all.
594 Posts
Here's a questions....where can I purchase those door guard stripes in black for a 2000 Coupe?! Ive been looking and cannot locate any!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
anybody have anymore input on how to remove these door guards, mine are faded and makes the car look bad and so i want to get rid of them. i was wondering are there other ways other than the hairdryer way?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
It's easier if you apply heat to them.

Wataru......the door strips are an accessory for the Stangs. Ford should have them. They are a little pricey though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im worried about it screwing the paint up though.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Just don't bake the paint and you'll be ok. The paint can handle a little heat, just think about how much heat gets to the paint on the hood, especially if you remove the hood liner for the Windstar intake. And like 1rnkpny said, any left over tape can be removed with an eraser wheel so you don't need to heat it up to get every little bit of tape off.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
When you remove them, and you find that there is dirt around the remaining tape, wash off the dirt then eraser wheel it. Of course the dirt would act like a coarse grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Wataru...im almost positive you can get them from AM

mcqueen - the only downside is that sometimes you will be able to see the difference in paint color/fading. i removed mine like a month ago and you cant tell a difference at all though

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright thanks for all the help and input for removing them. im gonna try and get to it soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts