Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to convert my 00 with a single din, to the double din found on the 01's and up? I have a 01+ AC bezel, an in-dash dvd receiver, and install kit for the screen. I noticed the two little tabs that would be in the way of the bezel but I can cut those off no problem. Would I need to make a custom bracket to support the screen? Or is there a company that makes a conversion kit? I tried searching for this but could not find this exact question. I can post pics if needed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
double din

I posted this in the electronics section, but hardly anyone goes in there.

Is there anyway to convert my 00 with a single din, to the double din found on the 01's and up? I have a 01+ AC bezel, an in-dash dvd receiver, and install kit for the screen. I noticed the two little tabs that would be in the way of the bezel but I can cut those off no problem. Would I need to make a custom bracket to support the screen? Or is there a company that makes a conversion kit? I tried searching for this but could not find this exact question. I can post pics if needed.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Im not 100% sure, but couldn't you just switch out your center consol for one from an 01+ Mustang or is there something behind it preventing that?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't sure if it was dramatically different from the 00. I noticed the cupholders were moved but I didn't know if anything else was different.

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
merged. this is where this belongs.

isnt there a frame behind that to setup for the single din. i cant quite remember. post up some pics.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
yea isnt that a metal fram behind everything? i dont think there is a conversion "kit" but i have seen some people do it before on sites like mp3car where they put those big double din touch screens in there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I'll more than likely have a frame built for it in the next few days. I'll make sure and take pictures and have a full write up for future reference [=

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I converted mine to double din. It wasnt to bad. I cut those tabs out and i cant remember if i removed the frame or not :dunno

But im going back to Single Din because i want to make a switch/gauge panel for the extra space. Im going to need it for my sound system im building (4 subs)

Anyway. Im selling my double din 7" JVC AVX810

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I did it. It wasn't extremely hard, but it was not a walk in the park by any means. I cut the two tabs that the original bezel clipped to, as well as trimmed two plastic pieces off the bottom of the bezel. I was not able to get any pictures but I will be happy to explain more in detail and post pics of it installed if anyone would like to see.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I did it also.... I posted up on the corral how I did it and got my face ripped off... If anyonew would like I will post here.... Just don't kill me for it.... (I have photos also... )

·
The Deer Hunter
1,012 Posts
^ i'd say post them :yes

·
Registered
194 Posts
Alright... Here is how I did it...

Before.....

I had alreay put in an aftermarket radio (Mainly for Sirius satelite and MP3 capability....) so the mach to a/m radio wiring was done...

first off... remove the factory radios and bezel...

Then cut off the 2 tabs that poke out from the sides...

^--- Tabs removed

Here is the part where I differ from a lot of people...

take the radio bezel from the 01-04 and the radio instalation kit and dry fit them into each other... lone them up... drill 2 1/4" holes in the bezel to line up with the 2 mounting holes in the kit and use 2 black 1/4" Rivits to rivit them together...

^---- Backside pic of rivits...

I also ran a bead of plastic adhesive across the top .. (good super glue or model glue works well...)

install the radio into the kit...

^--- Side view

hook up the radio and snap the assy. into the dash...

Just for a cleaner look I took the usb cable that goes to the radio for flash drives and molded it into one of the hole covers under the radio....

^---- Use a short extension so you can still remove it...

and the final install... I still need to dye to match but not worried about that right now... Hope this helps...

with flash drive in

This took about an hour to do from start to finish.... this is a reference of how I did the swap and not the only way to do it... the radio is nice and sturdy in the bezel and all works great!

If this helps at all rep it up!!

·
The Deer Hunter
1,012 Posts
I think that is a really good write up. I dont know why anyone would flame you for it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
They flamed me because I used Rivits... was told that "Rivits are not the correct way to do it..." (This is one of the many reasons that I don't post to the corral too much anymore...) Not trying to flame another site so I would like to keep it at that...

·
Registered
48 Posts
They flamed me because I used Rivits... was told that "Rivits are not the correct way to do it..." (This is one of the many reasons that I don't post to the corral too much anymore...) Not trying to flame another site so I would like to keep it at that...

people on corral can be D-cks. who cares if you used rivots or not. it looks good, and the radio is sturdy. I just searched for an hour and read a bunch of lame write ups before finding yours. Now I am quite sure I am going to do it. thanks man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts