Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been other threads dealing with this, but rather than bring an old one back from the dead, I figured I'd start a new to ask my own questions. I have read the other threads.
I have a 2000 Mustang and am thinking about making it double din to put in a touchscreen. I understand that I need to cut off part of the bottom on the new 01+ bezel and that I need to cut the tabs off that secured the old bezel for the best fit. What I'm really wondering about is the actual placement of the DD headunit. I've been looking around and have found different installation kits:
Ford In-dash Receiver Kit Fits select 2001-up Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury models Chassis size DD - Reviews at Crutchfield.com
Newegg.com - Metra 95-5026 Installation Kit for Ford Expedition 2003-2006 Ford Explorer 2002-2005
Newegg.com - SCOSCHE FD1428B 2001- 2005 Select Ford Lincoln Mercury Double ISO DIN Kit

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with those? I'd like it to fit as best as possible. Also, will I still need to put in a bracket to give the headunit support behind it AND below it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I like your user name lol

·
Registered
615 Posts
Cutting? I haven't heard about cutting anything for a double din.

But that doesn't make it untrue. I had a thread about the same question you had and I'm pretty sure I got some good answers... it's been awhile since I've read it.

Dang now you've got me thinking about installing a new head unit again hahaha

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
I have an 01, and recently switched to a double din unit. I bought the Scosche adapter and it fits perfect. No gaps. No cutting was required either. Just unscrew the factory radio, and remount your new radio in the adapter.

This is my setup. Looks pretty factory.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both of the above pictures look fantastic. If I'm going to do the conversion, those are the exact two headunits I'm looking of getting. Pioneer AVH-P3300BT and AVH-P4300DVD. What do you guys think?

Also, can anyone give any good tips on how to make a mounting bracket to install in a 2000?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, in order to do the conversion, I would have to buy an 01+ bezel just like you have. But I still need to support the bottom and back of the headunit so that it stays in place. Or am I wrong?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still wondering whether or not the adapter kit supports the headunit enough or if I need to make my own bracket also. Anyone?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts