Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 gt has a vibration/ engine issue that I can't figure out. The car is pretty much stock except for billet steel flywheel and stage 2 exedy clutch That were installed 2 months ago. I noticed this issue a few weeks ago on a 300 mile trip. It seemed as though the car had an intermittent miss at 60mph+. The car will jump if too much throttle is applied. I thought it may need a tune-up, so I replaced the plugs with autolite 764 copper plugs gapped @ .054. I also cleaned the maf w/o removing the sensor from the housing. And i replaced the fuel filter. Most of the problem was gone, for about a week. Slowly the issue got worse again. I changed all the coil boots, no change. I borrowed one of my friends accel coils and swapped it into every cylinder with no change. The only cel code it has is for the idle air control valve excessive flow. Please help with some advice on where to look. I can tell the engine exhaust does not sound right.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Replacing anything with Accel COPs, or any other aftermarket COPs is not an accurate measure of spark. We've beat the Ford/Motorcraft COP issue to death. Only use them. What you are describing sounds like two different issues to me. It sounds as if you may have a misfire condition.......... which only leaves COPs as an issue.

However, does your car have a piggyback underdrive crank pulley? Post a pic of the Crank pulley.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is completely stock except for clutch upgrades. The crank pulley is factory. I just borrowed the other coils to see if there was any difference whatsoever, no change. The car idles smooth, accelerates smoothly( but slower than usual) but the exhaust sounds way off. I have a mechanic at work that has built fords for years as a past time(he works on chrysler's for the job security) that seems to think it is either a vacuum leak or possibly cracked intake. 3 cans of ether so far haven't found it. At this point I'm ready to try almost anything.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Can't diagnose "accelerates smoothly( but slower than usual)" via the internet. I threw out two hunches. Without further info I'm out of hunches.

This still screams misfire. Since your mechanic friend has access to such things... get him to do a cylinder contribution test throught the OBD II port...... that will identify your problem cylinders. Another step is a compression test on all 8. Record all results and post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts