Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found these cool videos on youtube

Its amazing how much drag racing has changed as far as techniques and in general.

·
Cletus Emmett Wheelwelker
2,575 Posts
My uncle bought a Boss 302 in '69. He would street it then rip down Milan Dragway on weekends.

"Drag racing when it was fun" is a good description. Back then you didn't have the money invested you do now. People take racing too serious now-a-days.

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats pretty much exactly how my dad said it was like when he had his 67 firebird and the 71 roadrunner.

·
Administrator
33,198 Posts
my dad used to drag race back in the '60s and '70s alongside some of the greats. now all he does is watch shows about cars on tv. i actually ordered him a drag racing dvd a few birthdays ago from that company that produced that first vid you posted lol

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Just a question about drag racing in general. Why do cars do wheelies. I know if you do a wheelie it's because you have a lot of traction, but is there any practical application to do one?

·
Administrator
33,198 Posts
Just a question about drag racing in general. Why do cars do wheelies. I know if you do a wheelie it's because you have a lot of traction, but is there any practical application to do one?
besides making clueless bitches wet?

no, not really

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Ideally, you want the front tires to just break off the pavement for the most weight transfer.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Kind of like this.

This is good, because you get all the weight on the back wheels. Anything else can actually slow you down, and when you see a serious race do a big wheel stand, it was a mistake.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
So is that why cars have a wheelie bar. Not only to stop a flip over but to get the most efficient weight transfer. So if you do a full on wheelie is that wasted energy that you could have use to move forward or is it wind resistance because now you have the whole underside of your car exposed acting like a big brake.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
So a when racers make the mistake of doing a wheelie is that because they launched to hard.

·