Modded Mustang Forums banner

drag racing question

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  saldoggs 
#1 ·
OK here is the problem the track was open this weekend so i went. My car is a 1993 convertible is has a 351w that puts down 325 hp and about 365 tq to the wheels. i have a WC T5 with 373 gears and a new posi unit also pony wheels with a 245 street tire. it was pretty cold out at the track no matter what i did the car would consistently 2.1 - 2.3 60 foot times and my best run was a 13.9xx at 99.8x and i was sleeping at the tree. is this bad for what the car has under the hood. The car also has sub-frames done up tq boxes bbk upper and lower rear control arms stock gt springs with Monroe shocks and struts. is this bad times for the car should it run faster or am i at the limit, i know drag radials will lower the times but i use the car on the highway and wanna be safe. here is what the run looked like

#2 ·
should def be faster than that and you did wait about a sec at the tree

#3 ·
the car would consistently 2.1 - 2.3 60 foot times and my best run was a 13.9xx at 99.8x
Something is definitely wrong there....

My car pulls 1.6 60' and will go 90 MPH in the 1/8th mile with a "stockish" 302 and a 100 shot.

Maybe you just need more seat time, and get some better tires.... you spun through most of the 60' ...

I bet it was fun anyways though huh?

#4 ·
with that much power you should run at least a second faster and probly 10 mph faster....at least thats what i think

#6 ·
You can roll out at 1500 rpms and cut a 1.9 60 foot time. I've run a best of 1.8 on 225 all season rubber. Practice your launch, or get a spare set of cheap rims and get a set of ET streets. You should be able to run high 12s with out too much problem.

#9 ·
Assuming the car has not been lightened at all, with 325 rwhp it should run around 12.40-12.50 at around 110mph. Spinning off the line will only make the mph go up because the drivetrain is actually traveling a further distance. Something isn't right. Where did you get the horsepower and torque numbers? I don't think its making anywhere near those numbers.

#10 ·
Car seemed to lay down on the bottom end. Tire spin was obvious hence the shitty 60'. We need more detail engine wise for a better analysis. The dyno numbers would be suspect. I had a stock 5.0 with just an F cam and 650 holley that would run mid 13's all day long on cheap 255/60 Pep boys rubber. That's why they call it test and tune. Keep at it, it will get better. As far as it being cold, it makes hooking up a little harder but the engine should run better. (what does the car weigh?)

#12 ·
thats not taking from his et or mph though......it doesnt start recording your et until you move

#14 ·
On his ET's most people expect good et's then they take their car to the track and well start threads like this.

I think the biggest problem is that 60' you need to be down in the 1.80's

Work on your launch. DOn't punch it off the line Feather the gas pedal

#15 · (Edited)
i live in NYC and the car went to a local speed shop they have a dyno and i just put it on for the hell of it the car has a 351w punched 30 over with about 3500 miles on the rebuild gt 40 iron heads fully ported on the intake and exhaust FMS cam with .542 lift, fms roller rockers bbk long tube headers with 2 1/2 h pipe typhoon intake with 75 mm tb and egr 30 lbs injectors bbk fuel pressure reg with a 255 walbro pump, MSD ignition a pro comp dizzy, no a/c or smog pump and the car with my fat ass weighs 3650 thanks for the info i am gonna go back next month and try again i am gonna lower the tire pressure this time and try to feather it out off the line i was dropin the clutch at about 1400 rpm then punching it its weird i get real nervous at the tack street racing seams less stressful but i can t do that any more i dont need to get arrested

#17 ·
for the weight of the car and HP your MPH is about right, your ET could be about a second second faster with some slicks.

#18 ·
Darrell must be using the same calculator I do. I used a base weight of 3500# and came up with 12.86 et @110.6 mph. You can roughly correct for weight +/- 100# is 1/10 sec et. The et and mph you listed place FW hp between 258 -272. (rear wheel hp will be considerably less) I have found this calculator to be fairly close with regards to my cars.

#23 ·
I didn't use any calculator, I used personal experience. I had a GT Convertible a few years back. Bone stock it was just under 3500 with me in it. I don't remember the exact weight.

325 wheel horsepower will move a 3500 pound car into the mid 12s.

#19 ·
The calculator I use gives me about 102 MPH for a 3700 lb car with 325 rwhp. He ran 99, not too bad. BTW, 110 mph is way fast for a 12.9 quarter. 110mph is a low 12 high 11 second pass for me.

#22 ·
I generally equate a high MPH for the ET to problems getting the power down or a sloppy clutch or converter. Gear ratio does not change how long it takes a given amount of power to move a certain amount of mass a given distance. Gear ratio can only change how efficiently the power is utilized.

#24 · (Edited)
well the car has 373 gears a world class T5 with 2.95 1st gear and 16 inch pony wheels with a 245/55/16 i am gonna go back next month and try to feather it off the line i am just scared to burn up the clutch but it just pisses me of the car did crap at the track when i street race it i beat faster cars i dont know anymore

#26 ·
That's englishtown in Old Bridge, New Jersey but he might be from New York, and it's been open for 2 weeks now I believe. No snow here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.