Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these are my first set of DRs... Just put them on the rims last night.. Got out onto the street in front of my shop and launched for the first time with some real grip.. it pointed out what I have left to do... Suspension time... I got a little wheel hop and when I let off the gas at the end of second I almost lost control,felt like the tires were flat. I guess this is a dumb question but do any of you run these on the street. I don't know if I could get used to the sway of the rear end around corners.. I am already looking for another set of stockers to put on the back.. if not I will put my 20's back on and hope it doesn't snow any more...like it did today...

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
What brand and what PSI were they at?

Lots of people drive with DR's on their daily driver. They are not the best in the snow and ice, but if you live in an area were that is a problem than it would be a good idea to have a set of 'traditional' tires available for a quick swap.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I filled them to 42 lbs.... 44 max and it was 40deg outside... I have a 4x4 dodge if I need to get around so thats not the issue it is just wanting to know other peeps experiences with these or like tires.. I know the sidewalls are supposed to be soft but it just feels strange..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I run nitto dr's out back and they are fine on the street. The car does not handle as good as it did from the factory. Ive got all the goodies too. If you want it to hook good its not going to go around curves well. The car is pretty good like it comes from the factory. I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i know some people like to have drag radials on the street, but i like to push my stang in the corners as well as the straights. Since you already have the drag radials, maybe just put em on before you go to the track...I plan on purchasing a set and mounting them on some stock style rims just for trips to the track and back...good luck! Maybe it'll just take some getting used to

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I too have heard of people having issues with DRs on the street, mostly the Nittos though. I would work on suspension next for sure.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I run a 305/35/18 Nitto Drag out back and have no problems with them as a daily driver and I like to take the turns a little fast too. The sidewall might not be as stiff on the BFG's as the Nitto though. If you have a softer sidewall then the tire hooks a lot better but that also causes the car to sway around a speed. I used to run a 30x11.50 slick on my Z28 and when I drove them on the road I would have to watch because the sidewalls gave so much it would feel like the car was spinning out.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts

I filled them to 42 lbs.... 44 max and it was 40deg outside... I have a 4x4 dodge if I need to get around so thats not the issue it is just wanting to know other peeps experiences with these or like tires.. I know the sidewalls are supposed to be soft but it just feels strange..

:eek: DOOD!!! I'm running M/T DR's right now to knock the tread down a little for when the track opens. 42 pounds? Run 32 pounds, just like your stockers (door jamb sticker). You're gonna wear a groove right down the middle of your tread if you run them that high. They won't be as squirrely either if you drop the pressure. You're basically putting down as much tread as a pair of rollerskates right now. Do a good burnout with the psi you're running...if your patch isn't as wide as your tread, you've got way too much pressure. If it makes "railroad tracks" from the sidewalls taking all the abuse, your pressure is too low.

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
If you are looking for a good sticky tire that handles better in the corners than check out the Nitto NT-01. They will not get you the strait line traction of a traditional drag radial, but it might be a happy medium for what you are looking for. Wouldn't hurt to look into it for your next set of tires.

Nitto Tire - High Performance Tires for Car and Truck Enthusiasts

And also, 42 pounds is kind of high.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The tire said 44 so I thought I was ok... I will check out the marks from a launch and see what that tells me...

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
The tire said 44 so I thought I was ok... I will check out the marks from a launch and see what that tells me...
You always want to stick to the psi that it says on the door jam. The psi on the tire is just generic for what ever car it goes on, but in reality all cars weigh different and put pressure on the tires differently. The psi on the door jam is the exact calculated psi that is optimal for your car, so stick close to that pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts