Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well I want to go to the track this sumer and run some 1/4's. To see what my car can do. I have my original wheels and was wondering what size dr's will fit and if its a good idea to put dr's on my stock wheels vs buying another set of track wheels(keep in mind im not made of money). Also, in your opinions what is the best rpm to launch at? Plenty of backroads out here for me to get some practice on(safely). Also, any tips? Thanks in advance, my mods r in my sig!:D

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you have 18's the Nitto NT05R is probably the best bet. You can get it in 285/40-18 which is 27" tall (factory height I think). If you have 4.10's you'll want a 28" tall tire though, otherwise that one works great.

If you have 17s I'd get the MT ET Street 26x11.50-17LT tire. I ran those on stock 17" Bullits for awhile and they were great. Cut 1.6 60's with them. Despite their name though, these tires aren't really safe on the street - just a track tire.

Alright well I want to go to the track this sumer and run some 1/4's. To see what my car can do. I have my original wheels and was wondering what size dr's will fit and if its a good idea to put dr's on my stock wheels vs buying another set of track wheels(keep in mind im not made of money). Also, in your opinions what is the best rpm to launch at? Plenty of backroads out here for me to get some practice on(safely). Also, any tips? Thanks in advance, my mods r in my sig!:D

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I have M&H 275/50/17 on one set of 17x8s and M/T E.T streets 26.5x11.5x17 on the other pair. Both hook extremely well but I tend to use the M/T a little more often.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I just recently installed the new Nitto NT05R drag radials 285/40/18 and these meats hook like I never expected. Haven't been to the track yet with them, but maybe in the next couple of weeks. On the street in cool weather the hook very well with 597 RWHP. IMO they are about as good as drag radials get and they are the factory 27'' height. Very quiet and also have excellent road manners. Pricey, but I highly recommend these tires...way more than I expected.

Not to be compared with any previous Nitto drag radial, period! With your mods, you could launch at 5000-plus rpms with a little practice. Don't let the clutch pedal out abruptly. As soon as you see the tree lights start moving, hold your rpm's and slip the clutch out at a medium speed.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont have 4.10's, im still runnin the stock 3.55's, i figure untill im over 400rwhp i wont need to regear, idk if i even tickle 300 yet, i doubt it. so looks like ill be goin with a 27" tall tire. thanks for the advice guys! looks like ill have to get some meat on these wheels and start practicing! probably going to end up with me m/t's. wish i had bullits or fanblades but i got the other 17x8's.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scratch that, im thinkin ill run the 275/40r17 nitto nto5r's. have read some good reviews on them and i think with them lasting longer than the m/t's ill feel ok about drivin to the track with them on

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fish, the wheels you have in your sig on the rear are the ones i have sittin at my house, glad to hear a 275 fits and works well!

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i used 26x10.5 mickey thompson et streets on a set of stock V6 wheels. these worked great with my stock 3.55 gears and the V6 wheels are pretty cheap (craigslist). another option would be to look for some used wheels/tires for the track.

with that setup and just a cai/tune i was launching at 5k getting 1.8ish 60' times and high 12.8_ 1/4 times.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i used 26x10.5 mickey thompson et streets on a set of stock V6 wheels. these worked great with my stock 3.55 gears and the V6 wheels are pretty cheap (craigslist). another option would be to look for some used wheels/tires for the track.

with that setup and just a cai/tune i was launching at 5k getting 1.8ish 60' times and high 12.8_ 1/4 times.
i have my stock gt wheels as my spare set that i will be using for the track, just wanted to see what the best tires would be to run on them, my street setup i run 20's. im hoping to hit high 12's with my setup but ive never been to the drags before and i dont street race so i know ill need some practice before i can get the time my car is capable of.
oh, by the way does it really matter what i run for tires on the front of my car or can i get away with just leaving the 20's i run every day on there without any kind of affect? i realize the 20's are heavier and i dont have the nicest street tires(federal super steel 595's) i guess im just asking, is it really worth it to spend the extra couple hundred dollars for front tires and if so what should i run? i was thinking a 245 of some kind if i do jsut not sure what

·
Registered
47 Posts
As long as the tires are good and rated for about 110 MPH you should be fine with the lighter set of front tires. Just an FYI, I ran MT DRs all the time on my street racer Camaro. They only last about 3000 miles but they drive just fine on the street and they make your car a hero with the way they hook.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i have my stock gt wheels as my spare set that i will be using for the track, just wanted to see what the best tires would be to run on them, my street setup i run 20's. im hoping to hit high 12's with my setup but ive never been to the drags before and i dont street race so i know ill need some practice before i can get the time my car is capable of.
oh, by the way does it really matter what i run for tires on the front of my car or can i get away with just leaving the 20's i run every day on there without any kind of affect? i realize the 20's are heavier and i dont have the nicest street tires(federal super steel 595's) i guess im just asking, is it really worth it to spend the extra couple hundred dollars for front tires and if so what should i run? i was thinking a 245 of some kind if i do jsut not sure what
if you have all 4 stock wheels they would be lighter for track purposes than the 20's. i wouldn't worry much about what tire is on them as long as it's in good condition. of course leaving the 20's on the front would work also. since you won't be using the track tires on the street i'd just go with some mickeys or m&h.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts