Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was looking at getting some drag radials for my car. I am just curious, how long will they last at the track. I mean with doing burnouts and stuff? Jc. I go to the track like 2-3 times a summer.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I run 315/35/17 Nitto 555Rs out back.. and drive it every day.. heavy track use will get you about 3K miles or less on a set. Light track use can yeild up to 10k er so. I just ordered some new ones that should be here monday.. Ill get you some pics if ya want.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure i would like some pics. Ok so are there anyother good summer tires that will fit the stock rims. I am thinking about getting a set of rear rims with some drs on them for the track, and would like some good summer tires that will fit the stock 16s.

·
Ginger with No Soul
1,124 Posts
For best hook up and longevity, I recommend the Nitto 555DRs. I run the 275/40-17s and get better track times with these then anything else I have used.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks, i will look into getting some of those.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i just barely got a new set yesterday of the Nitto DR. i got the 315's and if you baby em around the street and savem for the strip they WILL last you a while. and by awhile i mean i had mine for just under 20k miles, NO JOKE. granted when i changed them out yesterday they were bold in the middle of the tires but as long as you rotate em, they'll wear evenly and you wont be dissapointed.

FYI, the cheapest i found em were for 135 brand new from online tires.com but if you go to Discount tire they will price match the tire and shipping....comes out to like 160 a piece. not bad at all IMO. well worth it.

Reactions: Scott2001GT

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I have a set of 275/40/17 Nitto 555Rs on the stock rims, have had them on for about 10k and they are still just fine. They have worked out fine for me so far and I have no complaints, even have surprising wet traction as well.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
i just barely got a new set yesterday of the Nitto DR. i got the 315's and if you baby em around the street and savem for the strip they WILL last you a while. and by awhile i mean i had mine for just under 20k miles, NO JOKE. granted when i changed them out yesterday they were bold in the middle of the tires but as long as you rotate em, they'll wear evenly and you wont be dissapointed.

FYI, the cheapest i found em were for 135 brand new from online tires.com but if you go to Discount tire they will price match the tire and shipping....comes out to like 160 a piece. not bad at all IMO. well worth it.
Umm, how can you rotate a staggered tire size setup with tires that have a directional tread?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Nitto DR= longer use
Mickey Thompson ET street= better for drag but wont last as long
this is all my opinion of course, However if these are only for track use I would go with a Mickey Thompson or a Hoosier, now if they were for DD duties nitto all the way

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i need to figure it out. i live where i get tons of snow. i currently have some great all season tires up front, and i have a set of snow tires for the winter. so if i get some nitto for the back they would last awhile if i baby them. and do they make them for the 16 inch factory wheels? and how do they grip on the street? i do a little bit of street racing.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
definitely do NOT even TRY to use them in snow. use your winter tires as i'm sure you would. i wouldn't use them in below freezing weather...and they grip pretty darn well on the street. no spin in any gear and they can take a 3k launch as well...

they do make them for 16's but they may only be a 245

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Mine were great in the winter! On a dry road or light ice, of course...:shiftyeyes The softer tread stays softer than normal street tires when it's cold, which makes them grip better. Ever felt how soft the tread on a Blizzak is?

To answer your question, Red...I rotated mine after last season. You have to dismount both tires from the rims and remount them on the opposite rim to keep the directional tread pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Just like any other tire setup, however I do not recommend it.
sure they are directional. but i live in north tx where its mostly dry. didnt really have any problems when i rotated them. they still gripped good, just prolly not "optimum" peformance. more than enough for daily driving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.