Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cleg Jr.
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys running for suspension setups?

I currently have the Eibach pro kit lowering springs and that obviously leaves a lot to be desired for drag race duty. I also have non adjustable boxed rear control arms both upper and lower as well as spherical upper bushings. I have a set of Weld pro stars that I run Nitto 555r drag radials (325 50 15 I believe) and skinnys on the front. I know my tires are huge but I got a screaming deal on them. The only time I took my car to the track last summer I ran a best of 13.36 @109 with no traction until I hit 3rd. (Doesn't help that there was oil on the starting line either :lol)

I would like to get a tubular k and a arms as well as a QA1 coilover kit for the front. Also would like to relocate the battery to the trunk.

My questions are:
1. Would I benefit from getting adjustable rear control arms? Upper or lower?
2. With adjustable arms what kind of pinion angle would be best?
3. What tubular K would be best? (keep in mind that I drive the car on the street as well)

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Everything with my suspension is listed in my garage

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Cleg Jr.
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Baseline Relocated Upper Control arms- Relocated? What are the benefits?

Strange 10 way adjustable rear shocks- I forgot about adjustable rears. How much of a difference do they make?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
The uppers correct the horrible geometry of the stock triangulated rear suspension. the adjustable rear socks make fine running the suspension a lot easier. Double adjustable are the best but a lot of coin

·
Cleg Jr.
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So to change pinion angles you need adjustable uppers? What kind of angle seems to work the best?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Pinion angle really depends on the type of control arm bushings you are running. If poly, you well have more pinion angle than if running solid

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I'm running all QA1 tubular up front with Lakewood 90/10 coilovers and a 14/175 spring. Out back I'm running UPR Adjustable lowers with solid/spherical bushings, spherical upper housing bearings, Afco double adjustable shocks, 1.5 coils cut off the rear springs and an airbag on the right rear.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Here's my set up

Spherical bushings

Ride height adjustable lowers

Strange 10 way adjustable front & rears

Also running Steeda sport springs

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I run a Team Z matrix X K frame with Strange coilovers, MM solid motor mounts, Baseline #1 control arms, Baseline, Baseline Pro Launch #3 uppers, Strange shocks/struts, stock rear springs with 1 coil cut off. All solid bushings but on the diff housing those are still stock bushings. I have yet to have my pinion angle set :(

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Keep in mind I'm not a big drag race guy, but if you don't have any traction until 3rd with >300 section width 555Rs, that sounds very much to me like something is not set up correctly in the rear suspension, and I wouldn't put a dime into the front until you figure out what that is.

What PSI are you running in those tires, and what width wheels are they mounted on?

·
Cleg Jr.
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are mounted on 10.5 inch wide wheels. I ran them at 15 psi.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Get rid of the tires and put a real tire on those wheels

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Keep in mind I'm not a big drag race guy, but if you don't have any traction until 3rd with >300 section width 555Rs, that sounds very much to me like something is not set up correctly in the rear suspension, and I wouldn't put a dime into the front until you figure out what that is.

What PSI are you running in those tires, and what width wheels are they mounted on?
The front and the rear work together and both are essential in a proper setup ..... but you're right.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
I agree with the rear tire comment too

·
Cleg Jr.
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What would you guys recommend for tires? The only reason I got them is I picked them up from some guy because they wouldnt fit his car. They were brand new for $200.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
They are mounted on 10.5 inch wide wheels. I ran them at 15 psi.
That sounds way too low to me for a drag radial. 15 psi is more like what people run slicks at. I'd start at 30 psi, and start bringing it down a pound or two at a time until your 60' stops improving.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
im at 18psi or so with ET streets. You dont wanna go to low with belt tires

·
Cleg Jr.
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You dont wanna go to low with belt tires
Thats what I thought too but when I dropped them down the sidewalls didn't look any more bulged then when I had them at 30-35 on the way to the track

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Thats what I thought too but when I dropped them down the sidewalls didn't look any more bulged then when I had them at 30-35 on the way to the track
Unless it's at one extreme or the other, how the tire sidewall looks is pretty irrelevant.

You need to use
:)

Isolate one variable at a time (in this case, tire pressure), make incremental changes and see how it affects performance.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with 15psi at the track on a drag radial. I run my BFG's at 16psi. Guys using slicks usually run around 12psi. Your wheels/tires are way to big for your power level. A 15x8 with a 275/50/15 would be plenty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts