Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several projects that I need to accomplish, pref. over the next month. I'm gonna be selling my car in about a year, but I love it too much to not continue modding it, I dont know what id do with myself if i stopped modding, therefore I have to continue with my plan of duals, before I was going to do full exhaust including headers, but now i'm just going to settle for divorced catbacks, I already have my thrush mufflers, im gonna do 2.5 piping, and to save money and to just have a cleaner look i'm gonna go with a dumped setup, should i dump it right before the rear bumper? also will these drone like hell? i've heard dumped thrush drones like hell, i don't mind some drone but i dont want a headache everytime i go somewhere

also how to properly fix a weathered third brake light, what grit sand paper and steps to use and should i use some vht to darken it?

also how to touchup my weather beaten wipers properly

these are just a few of my projects that I have, but I like to knock things out one by one instead of tackling 5 things and accomplishing 0 :( lol

pics will follow

·
Registered
158 Posts
I remember seeing somebody on these forums point their exhaust dumps at an angle instead of straight at the ground. That got rid of alotta drone.
3rd brake light I just cleaned mine and i bought a kit at autozone for 5$. although i replaced the whole 3rd brake light, the one I used the kit on is still pretty clear.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
should i dump it right before the rear bumper? also will these drone like hell? i've heard dumped thrush drones like hell, i don't mind some drone but i dont want a headache everytime i go somewhere

also how to properly fix a weathered third brake light, what grit sand paper and steps to use and should i use some vht to darken it?

also how to touchup my weather beaten wipers properly
1. They probably won't drone as much as if you dumped them before the axle. You can angle tips at like a 45* angle towards the sides of the car to reduce drone as well.

2. I would probably use a 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpapers (in that order). Wet sanding of course. I think VHT would look nice.

3. Remove the wiper blades, remove wiper blade arms (push the little button on them and pull them away from the vehicle, they'll slide right off), clean arms, sand arms (just so the paint can get a grip), clean dust from sanding off, adhesion promoter, paint of your choice, let dry, reinstall. I did mine without adhesion promotor and with Krylon flat black about a year and a half ago and it's holding up great. If you haven't changed your wiper blades in a long time, do that too.

Here's a pick of one of my wiper arms after the paint had finished drying

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. They probably won't drone as much as if you dumped them before the axle. You can angle tips at like a 45* angle towards the sides of the car to reduce drone as well.

2. I would probably use a 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit sandpapers (in that order). Wet sanding of course. I think VHT would look nice.

3. Remove the wiper blades, remove wiper blade arms (push the little button on them and pull them away from the vehicle, they'll slide right off), clean arms, sand arms (just so the paint can get a grip), clean dust from sanding off, adhesion promoter, paint of your choice, let dry, reinstall. I did mine without adhesion promotor and with Krylon flat black about a year and a half ago and it's holding up great. If you haven't changed your wiper blades in a long time, do that too.

Here's a pick of one of my wiper arms after the paint had finished drying

yeah thats exactly what I want them to look like, thats a complete transformation from mine lol

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember seeing somebody on these forums point their exhaust dumps at an angle instead of straight at the ground. That got rid of alotta drone.
3rd brake light I just cleaned mine and i bought a kit at autozone for 5$. although i replaced the whole 3rd brake light, the one I used the kit on is still pretty clear.
what was in the kit? i've heard a lot of bad reviews about kits like that.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty much what mine looked like before I painted them :p It's a real easy job to do. I think that was the first thing I ever painted on my car.
could you give me a fool proof step by step walk through of what exactly to use and in what order, i'd appreciate it lol and plus i'm sure some others could benefit from it.

reps

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
could you give me a fool proof step by step walk through of what exactly to use and in what order, i'd appreciate it lol and plus i'm sure some others could benefit from it.

reps
Yeah, sure.

1. Remove wiper blades
2. Push in button at the bottom of wiper arms and pull the arms off
3. Sand both wiper arms with 1000-1500 grit sandpaper
4. Clean both wiper blades (alcohol works well and evaporates fast)
5. Lay wiper arms on a flat surface (newpapers or plastic sheets under them)
6. Spray 1-2 coats of adhesion promoter, wait 10 minutes between coats (optional step, may help the paint last longer)
7. Spray light coats of color paint (flat black looks great) with 10 minutes of drying between coats. Continue until wipers have a consistent color
8. Allow 30+ minutes for paint to dry
9. Reinstall wiper arms
10. Reinstall wiper blades

The under side of the arms doesn't need to be painted because nobody will ever see them, so don't worry about that. It's just the exposed areas that you'll want to paint. Remember to keep your coats of paint light. Start spraying before the can is over the wiper arms and continue spraying past the wiper arms (will help reduce excessive build up of paint). I recommend having something to do while you're waiting for coats of paint to dry (not totally dry, just tacky). I washed my car in the down time :dunno

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have commented on a thread in the last couple weeks showing my before and after for my 3rd brake light. cant find it so here goes..

Before:

After:

I dry/wet sanded with 600 grit, light coat of VHT, wet sanded with 1500 grit to even it out, more night shade, then hit it with some turtle wax polishing compund. I didnt use clear because I like the satin look. light looks completely blacked out but you can see the brake light perfectly when its applied

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have commented on a thread in the last couple weeks showing my before and after for my 3rd brake light. cant find it so here goes..

Before:

After:

I dry/wet sanded with 600 grit, light coat of VHT, wet sanded with 1500 grit to even it out, more night shade, then hit it with some turtle wax polishing compund. I didnt use clear because I like the satin look. light looks completely blacked out but you can see the brake light perfectly when its applied
yeah i remember that thread, i glanced for it real quick and couldnt find it, only difference is that i'm looking to get a red gloss or black gloss.
reps

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
yeah only difference would be to add the clear after you got the darkness you wanted. Be careful with the VHT because the can I had gets splotchy sometimes so like McQueen said start spraying before you are over the light and dont stop until you are past it. The wet sanding got any splotches I had though.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, sure.

1. Remove wiper blades
2. Push in button at the bottom of wiper arms and pull the arms off
3. Sand both wiper arms with 1000-1500 grit sandpaper
use 1000 and 1500? or just any within that range
4. Clean both wiper blades (alcohol works well and evaporates fast)
just like typical rubbing alcohol?
5. Lay wiper arms on a flat surface (newpapers or plastic sheets under them)
6. Spray 1-2 coats of adhesion promoter, wait 10 minutes between coats (optional step, may help the paint last longer)
what adhesion promoter should i use and where could i get it? any autoparts store?
7. Spray light coats of color paint (flat black looks great) with 10 minutes of drying between coats. Continue until wipers have a consistent color
krylon? and whats the flat black name for the krylon brand
8. Allow 30+ minutes for paint to dry
9. Reinstall wiper arms
10. Reinstall wiper blades

The under side of the arms doesn't need to be painted because nobody will ever see them, so don't worry about that. It's just the exposed areas that you'll want to paint. Remember to keep your coats of paint light. Start spraying before the can is over the wiper arms and continue spraying past the wiper arms (will help reduce excessive build up of paint). I recommend having something to do while you're waiting for coats of paint to dry (not totally dry, just tacky). I washed my car in the down time :dunno
and washing the car in the down time seems like a good idea imo

thanks again

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah only difference would be to add the clear after you got the darkness you wanted. Be careful with the VHT because the can I had gets splotchy sometimes so like McQueen said start spraying before you are over the light and dont stop until you are past it. The wet sanding got any splotches I had though.
you used the vht nightshade?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
yeah thats how I restored mine. dry/wet sand, night shade, wet sand, night shade again then polish (buff) to seal it. Didnt use anything else

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I did restore 2 of them though. I could send you my 2nd one for that GT bumper you were talking about.. ;)

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
and washing the car in the down time seems like a good idea imo

thanks again
Not a problem. And to answer those red questions:

-Any in between.

-Yep, rubbing alcohol. I don't recommend using beer or any drinkable alcohol :p

-I use 3M. You should be able to find it at either an auto parts or home improvement store.

-Should just be Krlyon Interior/Extrior Flat Black. I think for my wiper arms I actually used some cheap $0.89 can of flat black from Wal-Mart, but that was before I knew anything about paint :dunno

1 - 20 of 32 Posts