Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv always had a huge obsession with drifting ever since i first heard of it. Unfortunately, i live in ohio, where everyone drag races and there arent any real circuit tracks that i know of.

so i guess my main question is how hard is it to set up a mustang for drifting? I have a 2000 manual v6, but this summer im putting the 8.8 rear end with tlok, new shifter, the dual exhaust, 17 inch rims, underdrive pulley, cai. Once i get the basic stuff done i want to work more on the intake, throttle body, and major suspension upgrades. And hopefully if that stuff all gets done i can look into a twin turbo setup.

now that you know the mods im looking at, do u think that once that stuff is done it would pretty much be ready to drift, or be able to do it sooner then that? also, would it be better to run the twin turbo or supercharger?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
150 Posts
i drift in my gt all that time. i have racing springs and shocks and swaybarrs. and those swaybars made all the diffrence. and yes its possible in a v6 i did it in my buddies car.

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
get a 240sx so you dont wreck your stang.

·
Registered
811 Posts
i drift in my v6 all the time. i live in Ohio to. hey at least you have a drag strip. the only drag strip close to me is only 1/8 mile:(
so where at in Ohio do you live? im in Portsmouth.

B

·
0 Posts
PM me if you need set up information I have been drifting for years and I will be glad to give you my set ups I drift my stang at my local track. Before I got deployed to Iraq I was the points leader with three tourney's under my belt. Mainly what you need is strong control arms and sway bars and high rear end gear... So go get those and some super hard tread tires for the rear and soft on the front and set up some cones in a empty parking lot and teach yourself how to drift.... I got lucky and had a family that has worked for nascar for generations and I told them I didnt want to drive 500 laps in a circle that I was gonna be a drift racer when I was like 14. Unfortunately the didnt like that to much and told me if I fail they were gonna disown me. lol

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
you know its not as easy as just slapping on springs and a traction lock right??

you need to tighten up the car, get the right tires, a lot of time needs to go into tuning your car...

have fun though

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
dont driftlike them lol
for drifting you want the rear to sway alot and the front to be stiff as hell
plus alot of power is great

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
the 240s and silvias were rwd

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
dont driftlike them lol
for drifting you want the rear to sway alot and the front to be stiff as hell
plus alot of power is great
wow... you have no idea about suspension setup or drifting... and I mean that as gently as possible. Of the two most popular drift platforms, one has ~165hp and the other has about 115hp (those being the 240SX and AE86 chassis Corolla GT-S). Power is nothing compared to balance.

What you described, a stiff front end with a loose rear, is going to create tremendous amounts of understeer, which is not at all what you want for ANY kind of performance driving.

If you're going to drift a mustang, there's two things you need to work on: increasing your max steering angle, and locating your rear axle. The latter of those being much more important, and easy enough: you need a panhard bar or a watts link. Maximum Motorsports or Grigg's Racing will be your best source for those; panhard bar will be cheaper and almost as good. Steering angle you can worry about later, but if you don't stabalize your rear axle, you won't have a predictable car for drift, which means you won't have a controllable car. Lowering your car will help, as will going to SLIGHTLY stiffer springs. You need to be able to transfer your weight, and super-stiff springs won't help you do that. Sway bars are a good upgrade, as well.

Oh, and it should be obvious, but you have to have a limited slip rear end - you CAN drift with a open diff, but it's a LOT harder, and it's very difficult to link up your drifts. Generally you'll only be able to open-diff drift on snow or wet pavement.

Hope that helps, and PM me if you have any questions.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts