Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title reads. Are dropping some drilled/slotted rotors onto stock calipers worth the time and money?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Just get the slotted. Depending on the quality the drilled ones can crack. From what ive read any ways. I have drilled and slotted but i bought them before i read this info, but i also do vary little driving

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on, you have stock calipers? If so, was there any difference in braking performance?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Right on, you have stock calipers? If so, was there any difference in braking performance?
I have the 95 style rotors and 99-04 calipers.but they do feel it bit better then stock

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Like the title reads. Are dropping some drilled/slotted rotors onto stock calipers worth the time and money?

Thanks
Do you regularly overheat your brakes? The main function these serve is removing glazed material if you're running the brakes hot.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
No, sounds like i'll stick with the stock set up until I can redo the entire system
Get some power slot rotors and HAWK pads. Makes a big difference. That's next on my suspension/brake list.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
I have run all kinds of brakes. Get the slotted ones because the slots are there to let gasses escape duing the friction phase. The cross drilled are for extreme cooling during track events. Cross drilled are designed for short term use and maxium performance, but they also can make a thruming or vibration noise during braking from the pad crossing over the holes. Stnagbanger302 is abolutely right. The Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads would be great.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
dont forget the stainless steel brake lines they help a bit to on the pedal feel. they dont swell under hard braking

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
dont forget the stainless steel brake lines they help a bit to on the pedal feel. they dont swell under hard braking
Yeah... Forgot this. Gives great pedal feel. We definitely need that with a foxbody :lol

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know it! Car will get up and go in a hurry but stopping quickly from 100 mph is more than a little sketchy! Whats so magical about the HAWK pads that they come highly recommended?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I know it! Car will get up and go in a hurry but stopping quickly from 100 mph is more than a little sketchy! Whats so magical about the HAWK pads that they come highly recommended?
Good compound. Everyone uses them for a reason ;)

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
I got rid of my brakes to save weight...cut .4 sec off my time. :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ Brilliant, personal speed secret of mine --> run only a quart and a half of oil in the engine, excellent weight savings and the car is way more consistent in the corners without all of that extra oil sloshing around and throwing off the equilibrium of the front end ;)

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
^ Brilliant, personal speed secret of mine --> run only a quart and a half of oil in the engine, excellent weight savings and the car is way more consistent in the corners without all of that extra oil sloshing around and throwing off the equilibrium of the front end ;)
Want all the secrets? Only cause we're all in the MM family, though...

Run 2 quarts of oil
No coolant
2 lug nuts on each wheel
No air filter
Rip out all harnesses that don't turn your car off
Take the wing off
Mill your heads with a belt sander by 2 tenths of an inch.

TADA! You'll go fast

:shiftyeyes

Sent from my galaxy s II

1 - 15 of 15 Posts