Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been tracking down a drive-line vibration and i think i finally found my issue. Quick background, the vibration is felt through the entire car not at the steering wheel or front end and is totally speed dependent 75+ mph, mostly felt through the stock shifter. Most people said to check the harmonic balancer, clutch, or flywheel, and its proven that none of these where the issue. I tested them by driving the car till it started vibrating and shut the engine off, and pushed the clutch in, vibrations where still present (was tested in a very rural area with no human life besides myself).

The next issue that came up was the rear end gear ratio, i read that if you have a steeper gear ratio, drive-line vibration will noticeably increase with the stock driveshaft. I was under the impression that i still had the stock gear ratio, so i quickly scraped that idea, until i wanted to be 100% sure. I proceeded to remove the rear end cover and clearly saw a 373 stamped on both the pinion and ring gear. Had no metal shavings in oil, and doesn't whine or clank, so im guessing the rear end was done correctly.

Apparently the only fix is to replace the stock driveshaft with a aluminum one. Now my question is this, is this really the ONLY fix to it, or can i just have my stock driveshaft rebalanced.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You could have the stock shaft rebalanced and weighted, but i would flat out replace it with an aluminum piece. They are a stronger and lighter. And they look good. Only downside is the price but worth it in my book.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'd check the U-joints first.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Absolutly just replace the drive shaft. I had this Exact! Same problem and the same as you chased everying else. Finally i checked the drive shaft bolts and they had all backed off a few turns. I wrenched them down but the damage was done. I replaced both u-joints with no success and eventually just bought an aluminum one from summit.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quick updated, got a killer deal on a used driveshaft.

Installed the aluminum driveshaft, helped but now vibrates at the 95+mph mark. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Are the u-joints on the used shaft ok? Any signs of damage at all? Try rotating it 180 degreees and see if that helps. Do you still have the 'dog bone' on the axle? Also, check the transmission mount for slop. Check your tires for any visible damage (punctures, bulges, flat spots, etc.). They could be damaged internally even. Also check your wheel weights and even the rims themselves. A rim bent even slightly can throw it out of whack. It could even be the gears themselves.

If it can be balanced, check it. Anything having to do with the driveline.

Up front check the tires, rims, balljoints and tie rods. Check the alignment as well just to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts