Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home yesterday and wanted to drive my mustang. I go to unlock the door with the key and I couldn't turn the key to unlock it. I tried and tried I even thought I was using the wrong key. So I go to the passenger door and unlock it just fine. The lock and unlock button works on both doors only it locks and unlocks the passenger side door only. The Driver door lock is stuck or something. I can't drive my car like this. I don't feel like climbing over seats to get in.

How can I fix this. Can I take the door panel off with the door closed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Door help!!

you are going to have to open the door to work on it. it should open from the inside. pulling the handle overides the locking mechanism from inside. However you may want to make sure that you havent pushed the lock button down and got it in a bind. another thing, are you sure that it is locked?? or could your outer handle be broke. Fords are notorious for breaking but they are really easy to replace.

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
I got home yesterday and wanted to drive my mustang. I go to unlock the door with the key and I couldn't turn the key to unlock it. I tried and tried I even thought I was using the wrong key. So I go to the passenger door and unlock it just fine. The lock and unlock button works on both doors only it locks and unlocks the passenger side door only. The Driver door lock is stuck or something. I can't drive my car like this. I don't feel like climbing over seats to get in.

How can I fix this. Can I take the door panel off with the door closed.
you won't be able to get to all of the screw in the door with it closed.

does it turn a little, or not at all? if it turns a little then it's probably not the lock. get in from the other side and pull the handle to pop the lock up. if it doesn't pop up, the actuator has more than likely siezed up. i've seen it happen before in a ford f-150. not a big issue, just had to replace the actuator.

other than that,, the doorlock assembly coming lose inside the door, or something wedged in there (how that would happen is beyond me:dunno) i wouldn't have a clue.

i'd guess it's the actuator though.

atleast you didn't get what i got one day goin when i went out to my truck to leave for work. my room mate thought it would be funny to super-glue pennies over my locks. it was kinda funny. kinda.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you won't be able to get to all of the screw in the door with it closed.

does it turn a little, or not at all? if it turns a little then it's probably not the lock. get in from the other side and pull the handle to pop the lock up. if it doesn't pop up, the actuator has more than likely siezed up. i've seen it happen before in a ford f-150. not a big issue, just had to replace the actuator.

other than that,, the doorlock assembly coming lose inside the door, or something wedged in there (how that would happen is beyond me:dunno) i wouldn't have a clue.

i'd guess it's the actuator though.

atleast you didn't get what i got one day goin when i went out to my truck to leave for work. my room mate thought it would be funny to super-glue pennies over my locks. it was kinda funny. kinda.

I got inside the car from the passenger side and tried opening the door from the inside by pulling the handle and it didn't open. I pulled even harder but then stoped. I didn't want to break the door handle on the inside.

When you unlock the doors from the inside using the button the driver door lock acts like it wants to come up because it moves just doesn't come up. Something must be messed up behind that door panel.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
can u grab it with pliers or something to pull it up maybe

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know I'll try again when I get home. Why did they have to make the lock knob so short. You can't even get a grip on the thing.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i might be possible to get the door panel off with the door being open but that would be really hard to do

·
Registered
151 Posts
If all else fails use a big ******* Hammer. even if it doesn't work it makes you feel better.
You might want to try pulling the inner door handle while hitting the lock button to see if you can feel something not catching

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
If all else fails use a big ******* Hammer. even if it doesn't work it makes you feel better.
big ******* hammer sounds good to me.

like someone else said, see if you can grab the knob with a pair of needlenose or something.

also, do mustangs have that little thing on the inside of the door jam that holds the lock assembly in place, like the ford trucks do?
i don't think they do, but if there is one, you can remove it and the lock assembly pops right out of the outside of the door. easy way to f*** up the paint on your doors though.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
sounds like a door lock accuator has given up on ya. but usually you can still open the door from the inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
stuck door lock

white 89, were you ever able to figure out what was wrong with your door lock? i've got a '93 F150 that is having the same issue. i replaced the door latch cable not too long ago. i locked it for the first time since doing that and now i can't get that door open.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
white 89, were you ever able to figure out what was wrong with your door lock? i've got a '93 F150 that is having the same issue. i replaced the door latch cable not too long ago. i locked it for the first time since doing that and now i can't get that door open.
Are you stuck inside it right now?:eek:

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
My door will only unlock from the outside if I have the key inserted one way. So I had to make a mental note that when I go to plug it in that my ignition key is to the right of the door key, if its upside down it will not work and the ignition key will be in the left. :dunno

·
Registered
35 Posts
as my own post goes...anyone?

mine wont open from inside ,outside

tryed stick down inside to see if i could push on rods...tryed pulling door knob...basically everything...

if as other have said,if it's the actuator..thats fine,but how do i access that if i cant open door to get door panel off???

im lost...

·
meh
5,272 Posts
I haven't removed my door panels in a while... but as far as I can recall, the only things holding it in are:

2 bolts in the arm rest behind the round plugs, two screws on each end of the arm rest, some on the speaker grille, and the triangular mirror plates. After that, roll the window down, and you should be able to slide the panel up. The bottom of the panel is held on with those push-in plastic pins, which should pull away from the door easy enough. Of course if you have manual hand-crank windows, you will have to take those handles off as well.

Once you get the panel off, the lock actuator is at the end of the door near the B-pillar. You should be able to remove it from its mount by sticking your hand through the hole in the door (you may have to pull back the plastic moisture barrier) and pulling the actuator DOWN. Then you have to unhook the linkage.

I have manual windows and manual locks on my fox. I could put everything electric (all the stuff is in my donor car) but I'm going to leave it all manual for this reason. Less crap to break, and the car won't lock me out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
allow me to elaborate on my problem. i cannot unlock the door using the key from the outside, i cannot unlock the door using the power unlock switch on the inside, i cannot unlock the door by pulling on the door handle from the inside... i've pulled the door pannel back and had a look (can't fully remove it because the dash is in the way)... i've pushed on the rod that goes down from the keyed lock and it won't move any further down... i've pulled up on the inside lock with a plier... the actuator will pull the lock back down and it will still try to push the lock back up.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
You might be able to pop it open with a slim jim and then clean, inspect all the moving parts. If you still cant pop it open, pull out the door panel like you did before and go ape **** with some solvent.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts