Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on buying an alluminum D/S for my 01 cobra from American Muscle, but when i started to read about it on their site it said it doesn't fit 99-04 cobra's... Why wont it fit on the Cobra's, is it b/c of the IRS?.. Where can i find one to fit my car for a good $ ?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
um...never looked myself, try cjponyparts.com
jegs.com
summitracing.com

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
I've been trying to dig one up, and I can't find one. I know there is one you can use I just can't remember which one it is.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
buy one for a GT and have it cut down half an inch.

frpp does make them but they are backordered a few years.. lol

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
the reason it doesnt fit 99/01 cobra's is because of the pinion flange, a solid axle, and a IRS uses different pinion flanges. either convert to a solid axle, which is a good thing to do to save weight, or just buy a GT pinion flange and swap it out. its likea $30 part.

·
Banned
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea im a member over there... that was the forum i stayed on when i had my Lightning... and i forgot about Steve over there....thanks guys

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
1-800-328-9552

(some people can't see svtp sections if they aren't members)
i think the only forum thats not visible to non members is smackdown.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ok...so i dont get this wrong... i can order the Alluminum D/S off american muscle for 99-04 GT then order a 99-04 GT pinion flange? how do you swap them out? is it hard? would it be something i would need to get the person who is installing my gears to do?

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
its not too hard, but yeah, jsut have the person install your gears do it, he shouldnt charge more than maybe another $25-50. you have to make sure you get the crush nut on the pinion flange right.

the DS will be TIGHT getting in there too, it just barely goes in, the IRS pumpkin sits a hair farther forward than the solid does, but it will go in, theres about 1/8-1/4" to spare + the slack needed to set it on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts