Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2008 Mustang GT with only 12000 miles on it and after driving in it for only 8000 miles it seems like the drive terrain is already getting sloppy. Is this normal for a Mustang or what?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I presume you mean drive train?

Little more info please - what do you mean by "sloppy"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok yes I'm a tool, DRIVE TRAIN! What I mean is that when I'm shifting or coasting I have to be super smooth or it will make some clunking noise when there is load or no load on the gears. Also the transmission seams tight and hard to shift and is easy to miss shifts. The dealership says that this seems to be normal for Mustangs and I have no problem. It’s hard to explain what I feel and hear, does that make any since?

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts
Fixed the title for you so hopefully you'll get some more replies :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok yes I'm a tool, DRIVE TRAIN! What I mean is that when I'm shifting or coasting I have to be super smooth or it will make some clunking noise when there is load or no load on the gears. Also the transmission seams tight and hard to shift and is easy to miss shifts. The dealership says that this seems to be normal for Mustangs and I have no problem. It’s hard to explain what I feel and hear, does that make any since?
If you could record and post a video, it's be easier to hear what you are saying. I can't tell you how many times I've missed 3rd gear on an upshift simply because it wouldn't let me go into that gear. It's gotten better with age (as i'm sure syncro's have worn, etc) and doesn't happen as often.

I can't say if what you are experiencing is normal or not, as this is the only mustang I've ever owned. The drivetrain in my car is noisy as well, but the performance shop I take mine to said it's normal, and everything is 100% as it should be. (They've replaced the rear diff and clutch for me, so they checked everything out while they had it apart).

·
I like when it's shiny.
1,768 Posts
Same issue as you have described with my 09 since new. Can't find out what the problem is. It almost feels as thought the tranny is moving...dunno how else to explain it.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Crank the music..... I have never noticed any excessive noise coming from the drivetrain... maybe get with another mustang owner and have him drive it... or post a video..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks TB

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Reactions: DRock

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
That doesn't remove the slop from the drivetrain. It may help with with gear changing (didn't help mine when it was a stick). If you still have the factory driveshaft, there seems to be a lot of slop created by the carrier bearing int he system. It's just the nature of the beast.
Touche. I think he is descriing both problems though. The clunk and being super smooth could and more than likely is the drive shaft and the hard getting into gears could be the tranny moving (which the K member brace would fix) or could be his sycro's goin bad.

Either way reps for the drive shaft idea!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that you guys might have pin pointed the problem or at least gave me an idea as where to start anyways.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
The driveshaft is a good idea, as far as the gearbox, it's a shitty peace to begin with an MGW Short throw will fix that right up. No more missed shifts. The clunking and what not, K-member as previously stated...

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Mine is the same way. but only with 2nd gear. You have to ease it into 2nd slower then any other gear or it will clunk into it. But other than that shifting is smooth.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
My car clunked and banged to not end and i put a power house drive shaft in there and problem solved. Just have a look at the stock drive shaft and what a peice of **** it is, theres like 5 joints there to get sloppy.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Driveshaft seems to be the biggest contributor, a lot of people report smoother drives after getting one installed. I know I need a good 1 piece drive shaft.

I've had the CHE K-member with torque limiters since about 5k miles and they help firm up the shifting a little, but they don't do squat for the slop.

I'm pretty sure the stock UCA and stock mount are part of the problem too.

A lot of what you feel can be alleviated with driving habits to work around the issue. Don't let off the throttle only to re-engage it suddenly.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Put some Drag Radials on it and hammer it down the 1320....the part that breaks first might be the one that you might be complaining about and the first part you might have to replace....if that don't do it, go back to the 1320....until you find it.

Well, thats how I do it.....clunk....ping....pop.... Oh @#$&!!!

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Mine is sloppy as well, but only when in second gear.

I guess you could say I have sloppy seconds.

In all seriousness, I took mine to the dealer for a clunky drive line, and they told me that it was quite normal for the 2 piece driveshafts that are used in these motor vehicles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts