Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never driven a rear wheel drive vehicle in the winter. Lucky me, we just got some snow here today. It's way early but we're supposed to get more over the next few days. It looks like it's mostly melted but guys I need some tips of driving my mustang in the snow (no spare vehicle to fall back on). I'm thinking throwing some heavy **** in the trunk to put some more weight over the rear wheels..

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Yea put a lot of weight in the trunk. Give yourself a lot of extra time to get where your going. Take turns extremly slow and never floor it.

·
Banned
636 Posts
yeah that should be more then enough weight. Also you should REALLY have a spare set of snow tires/wheels to swap out for winter. I say wheels too because it would be a whole lot easier to just jack up the car and swap out the wheels/tires then dismount and remount different tires on the same set of wheels.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah money is a little short right now but I'm getting a whole new set of tires soon (3 of mine are bald). Hopefully by next winter I'll have a spare set of rims + tires.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yep. Definitely do not drive with 3 bald tires...Even if its wet. So you can just forget about the snow. I know money gets tight, but if I were you I'd cut money somewhere else. Cause its not going to matter if you're dead.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If your tires are bald and it's snowing, I'd suggest walking. It would be a lot safer.
My parents actually couldn't afford to get me a graduation present when I finished high school so they've offered to buy me new tires. I'm taking them up on that ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just got my '03 Mustang about a month ago and have already gotten plenty of tips for winter driving. It seems to me like you guys covered everything I've heard here though.

The difference with me however is, that instead of sandbags I'll be using old computers :D (I repair computers, and often take in obsolete PCs). I got these two IBM servers from 1996 (I think). The two of them combined weigh 106lbs, and they both fit perfectly in the sides of my trunk. Those combined with all of my books :rolleyes:, I think I'll be set.

-Indybird

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run with 2 40 lb bags of salt. I never get below a 1/2 tank of gas. I drive 60 miles rural,
each way. Most mornings I am on road before snow plow. After many other tires I have settled on Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires( consumer reports highest rating for 2005 snow/ice tires). About half the cars that zip by I later see in a ditch. I cant drive them is summer, high wear rate. (bought ASA mags/ Summitomo tires on sale for summer, saved a lot not having tires mounted/balanced twice a year)Allow plenty of time for driving, stopping, turning. NO sudden moves/turns/stopping. I love my stangs, and think they are way better winter cars than my 2 wheel dr F-150. Be careful, Good luck !

·
Registered
781 Posts
i had both a v6 and a gt in winter with only a 60 lb sandbag in the back, but its so much fun! haha. snow drifting is the best XD

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Don't make any sudden or jerky movements while driving. Ease on the gas, ease on the brakes, ease on and off the steering.

On slick surfaces, skinny tires have more traction than wide tires do.

Find an open parking lot and practice getting sideways and recovering from getting sideways.

Weight will help, but too much will be counter-productive. You need to keep a balance of weight between the front and rear: traction in the back is worthless if you don't have enough up front to steer with.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
ya know ever since i got my stang ive put it away for winter but ive always wanted to drive it in the snow for fun and get it to slide and stuff. it just sounds like fun

1 - 20 of 25 Posts