Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
:)
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hate it when that happens. It's raining hard, and you drive through a puddle at slow speed, yet it still splashes on your damn serpentine belt and your crank pulley slips and doesn't spin any of the pulleys like water pump, alternator, and power steering. Then my brake pedal gets real stiff and my steering goes to **** for a few seconds.

Does this happen to everyone? is there anything i can use to stop the belt from getting wet?

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Try putting a better belt on it. I bet a Gatorback belt would fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Try putting a better belt on it. I bet a Gatorback belt would fix the problem.
QFT. I've never had that sort of problem.

·
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think i have a gatorback. I think. Someone told me it was. It looks like one too.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
then throw a tensioner on it.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
lmao.... have you cleaned the pulleys yet?

·
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
idk. probably not. I dropped my car off at some mechanic's once when my car was making a whining sound from some pulley. He changed all my pulleys for free and found out that i had a cracked idler pulley mount on my timing cover. He said it would cost me $800 for him to swap out my timing cover.

I went to a place called quartermile solutions and had it done for $75 parts and labor.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
you had the front cover swapped out for $75? Are you sure they changed it?

·
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep. I checked the old pulley. It was ****ed. The mount was totally broken and held by a screw. Qms changed it and the sound went away. It was a good timing cover off another gt. It would hav been $110 but I got a deal.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
^ well thats a good price...though you could have done it its an easy removal all you would need is new gaskets and some rtv as well as the other parts you specified and a good torque wrench.....maybe use some belt dressing but i hear it crystalizes the belt and ends up making it worse in the long run but you can try it out they sell it at every autopart store... but id just get a new gatorback if i was you.... did you check if it has small cracks if it does you need to change it out

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
a gatorback should say gatorback on it. atleast mine does.

And one thing that works great for belt squeal is candle wax, like light a tea light candle and let 3-4 drops of wax land on the belt while it's spinning(get it before the fan comes on). I'm assuming it works by making the belt stop slipping so I would also assume it might help your situation.

Also doesn't cause any ill effects to your belt like dressing does.

·
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
isn't there some sort of cover i can buy that keeps water splashing off my belt? :D

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
stop hittin the god damn puddles

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
well i know my gt had a plastic cover that went below the engine cradle when i got it but i removed it and threw it away because it was a pain in the ass to work under the car i had to remove it every time i wanted to change the oil filter and then reinstall it so i just tossed it i dont remember how big it was but i just remember it covered something down there most likely the fan shrowd and some other stuff.... i might be mistaken though it could have been my ex's car i just remember getting rid of it

·
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah now i'm scared of driving on freeways in the rain. I've done it before, but nothing happened, yet...

and Supra MK2, i avoid them. it still happens.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
by the way where the hell is sugarland bro because i know texas and have never heard of it wheres it by

1 - 20 of 26 Posts