Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think it would be safe to drive my car to school and back, 70 miles without a time? Just finished my split port swap and my dlc isn't getting power for me to tune it. Some guys at school want to help me out. It has 21lb injectors, but still has the factory 96 v6 tune....

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
How does it run? If it's running rich and OK at low rpm/part throttle then I'd go for it.

If it's running lean or you get detonation then don't.

Do these people actually know what they're doing?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, unless you have a wideband and monitor air/fuel~

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, they've gone through electrical and work at a shop, I haven't done either. Lol

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I keep it in low rpms and watch the oil pressure, I should be fine, though, right?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
If I keep it in low rpms and watch the oil pressure, I should be fine, though, right?
Not really.

Ideally you'd want to keep a low engine load and watch your A/F ratio(which you probably don't have a gauge for). It's a risk and if you don't know what you're doing then you probably shouldn't do it.

Does it even run?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it runs fine. Sort of. I've taken it up the highway a couple times to test it. If I keep a steady foot, it'll accelerate and then not push like it should for a moment, then accelerate fine again. I've been VERY hesitant to drive it without a tune, but figuring out the electrical problem with this DLC is beyond my knowledge. I need help one way or the other

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Did it work before the engine swap?? If so what did you do when you swapped engines?? Forget a ground, or blew a fuse is all I can think of because you don't have to mess with anything but the connections on the engine when swapping.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I didn't do anything under the dash. I checked the fuses. Grounds, I haven't checked yet. That's part of what I was going to have them help me with tonight. If they can't figure it out, my instructor could.

I am worried about messing something up, though. it would suck to have gotten this far and mess something up....Which is why I'm asking. The pressure must be spiking and dropping if it does that when I keep a steady foot. Tuning is the last thing I need to do to be finished, though, so its frustrating. Lol. Oh, and im not sure if it worked before or not, honestly....I never had problems or a cel before I blew my engine last summer

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yeah, it runs fine. Sort of. I've taken it up the highway a couple times to test it. If I keep a steady foot, it'll accelerate and then not push like it should for a moment, then accelerate fine again. I've been VERY hesitant to drive it without a tune, but figuring out the electrical problem with this DLC is beyond my knowledge. I need help one way or the other
It sounds like the car is running lean. ESG's advice is spot on. You'd be taking an unknown risk to drive the car. What is strange is that the car is lean with 21lb injectors. I would have expected it to "load up" at idle and hesitate from a standing start if it were running 21lb injectors with a 19lb tune. Further, the larger injectors would probably work OK with the stock tune once you were at a steady speed.

It is your observation that the car is surging at steady speed that is a concern. To proceed despite this concern is something only you can choose to do at your own risk.

I'd say "HELL NO!" if it was my car

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
have it put on a flat bed if you wanna take it somewhere.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, the tune is for 14lb, its a 96, not a 99+. I'm using the 99 injectors, though

Edit: Sorry, the 99 injectors are 19lb? Thought they were 21. My mistake!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to leave for school now....I guess I'm not going to do it. My only other option is to bring it to a shop. I already know they're going to charge out the ass for something so stupid >.< I have no other choice, at the moment, though and definitely don't want to see any damage....Thanks for the input, guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts