Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just dropped in my motor..she started up first shot..only thing is theres a wierd noise from what sounds like the back of the intake/ valve cover. i did the motor cuz i blew the oil pump..it only ran for a min after..so i assume if i bent something it would be a constant tick or scratch noise....but its not constant there isnt any rythem to the noise..almost sounds like theres a screw in there getting thrown around..but i know there isnt. anyideas?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i guess the best way to describe the noise is kind of like when ur front axel goes and it gives that click/tick noise..sounds something like that, but theres no rythem to it

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Leak?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont see any leaks anywhere...the motor is smoking some..but i assume it will from sitting for 4 years

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I use to hear the same noise thinking I had a similar problem. My clutch was jsut chattering. Put the clutch in to engage it and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my friend whos a mechanic seems to think the starter might not be fully letting go of the flywheel, and the gear might keep grabbing and letting go??? but other then that we r lost for ideas, unless we pull the motor apart again to make sure theres nothing in it. but when i took off the upper and lower intakes to do the seals..i made sure nothing dropped in and even blew it out with an air compressor

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you think maybe there is a tiny piece of an old gaskey flying around in the upper intake..or would it get sucked through the whole motor by now?

·
Free Mouth Hugs
9,037 Posts
Idk about you, But my neighbors was making a noise and sounded like a ticking, but not in rhythm and it happen to be in the cat. Does yours have cats? and have you listen to the noise from underneath?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nope no cats..y would i have those lol haha. no i havent actually gotten underneath. im trying to get my friend to send me a video of it so i can post it. my car is currently in vermont, and i am in mass....i should have taken a video clip b4 i left there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Could it be you did something to the valvetrain when the oil pump went? Like maybe a lifter collapsed?
When you pulled it apart, did you rebuild the whole engine or just replaced the damaged stuff?

·
Registered
496 Posts
could very well be the starter i would start there if it sounds like the back of the engine does it change with the rpm?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i only did the upper and lower intake seals and exhaust manifold gaskets, the noise sounds like its coming from the rear of the motor..maybe the intake, or the drivers side valve cover..but there isnt a steady rythem to it. and it doesnt change when the rpms change. it can stop for 30 seconds and then ull here it for a sec.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the verdict is in..aparently it has a spun bearing....soo i guess its a lot of machine ing and parts or should i find a used motor for now. and how much can i find one for, and what should i look for when getting one

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
has anyone delt with lkq automotive? aparently you can get motors from there with a warrenty

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so if i spun a bearing, could i just get a new block? will the heads be fine? i belive 50resto has blocks for 700 bucks

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so if this is a spun bearing...i was thinkin of getting a block from 50resto...does this come with everything i need..do i just bolt on my heads and intake and call it a day??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts