• 2+inches

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k as sum of u may know, i have a 2000 v6 mustang. and the suspension is completely stock.
now i've ordered 17/9 deep dish rims for it. and i was thinking bout dropping it in the near future. question is idk how much to drop it.
im most likely gunna get the lowering springs of ebay but i wanted to see if anyone here has dropped there car or knows how much i should drop it with 17in rims and not mess up the car either and is safe.

anyone have any recommendations? an 1in 2inches? or any sites with good lowering springs that you may have gotten urs from?

thnk u.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
will add this, mine is dropped 1.5 inches with tokico springs and if you lower your car anything greater than 1.4 you will need to buy some caster/camber plates to obtain the proper alignment (i recommend maximum motorsports plates). also anything close to the 2inch mark you will need a bumpsteer kit and possible new steering rack bushing to correct the front suspension geometery. i would get new spring isolators regardless of drop amount.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
i dropped about 1" rear and 1.25-1.5" front with frpp c springs and just replaced the springs. no c/c plates, isolators, bumpsteer, shocks/struts or any of that. with a 1.5 or > drop, you should really upgrade all of the forementioned goods.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i was thinking bout doing that...getting it a little lower in the front then the back. your car runs fine though, u just got the lowering springs? id so then do u think i should get anythin else or just the lowering springs?

where'd your get yours also?
thnk u!

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
i have frpp c springs and no front sway bar.

c springs off mustangtuning.com for 139.99 last winter and sway bar removed for free. no adverse driving without the sway bar with it lowered despite what you may hear on the boards

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k so remove the sway bar an just go with 1 in drop.
i'd go to mustangtuning.com but i know it'll be more expensive then just getting lowering springs off of ebay. wouldnt it be the same?

·
Registered
487 Posts
bro if u going to spend that much money on a set of springs for 1 in....
do it right, go to 1.5 or 2 and get all the adjusting stuff.
i dont see you seeing ALOT of difference in an inch

·
Registered
462 Posts
kerry, I do hope you realize that in most cases for street cars ride height adjustable is NOT the way to go. When you adjust height you also need to get your front end fixed every time you lower/raise the car, otherwise you will mess up your tires(why spend the GOBS of money required for racing hieght adjustable any way?) Also, $140 for springs(what AB got) is a very good deal in the auto world as a whole, do you know how much the springs alone are in a racing set up for my saab?

(you may not have meant RH adjustable, but in the case you did look up a bit)

AB's springs DO make his car look better, any more and they wouldnt be practical though,(or as good looking) especially with his long tubes

do AB's set up and you will be good, it is the correct way to do it for the street, but you may also want to get some socks if you can find a good deal(ive found adjustable koni's for cheap many times), preferrably adjustable shocks(at least in the rear) so you can change you traction characteristics for drag/street/autoX. but for the lower power your v6 makes it isnt as big of a deal for drag, a better tire set up and t-lok will help you a bit more. and for street only handling AB's set up with stock shocks is good enough(actually pretty good)

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
i had no idea that much went into lowering a car. im gonna haveta rethink lowering my car as well. great info ppl!

3.8Coastie

·
Registered
462 Posts
it really isnt a big deal at all. usually just getting the springs you want and then going to a shop for a short amount of time to get them put on and to adjust your castor/chamber, unless you can do it yourself of course.

it is an easy mod and worth it, especially since yall can do it for under 200 bucks

·
muneris pro ego
7,475 Posts
well i put a black widow body kit on my car and that made the rear end have approd 3 1/2 inch ground clearance, but i also have stock rims. i wanted to get either 18's or 20's and i wasnt sure how much lower id need the car to be to keep the low appearance. im sure i could do it myself here on the base (we have an awesome auto-shop) but ya never know lol

3.8Coastie

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dont do 20's thats to big..18 is fine.

k wait now...i know u all sed to get springs but where should i get them then if ebay isnt the way to go?
also im not dropping it anymore then i sed...its my car so i think 1in in the back and 1.25 in the front is fine.
do i need anythin else aside from the lowering springs though if im droppin it just an inch

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
you can get by with just springs at that height. any more and you need to get the whole shebang for alignment

·
Registered
431 Posts
I lowered my stang with Ford C springs.
I removed an additional 3/4 of a coil from the rear springs and 1/2 a coil from the front springs.
But in all honesty 1/2 a coil may be a little too much removed.

·
Registered
487 Posts
hey 3.8Coastie
i have the black widdow kit 2 with 18in rims soo if u wanna see what it would look like... just look at the pix but on my car lowering it another 1.5-2 would make it nearly undriveable because now im still scraping on speed bumps and what-not, but... it would look damn good.
has anyone on here done a cool-ride/air ride kit. i was seriously thinking about it but didnt know where to mount the compressor tank.
with that you could drop it 5 in when your showing but be at normal height for driving, PLUS i have heard alot of good things about the ride quality, 4 wheel adj. pressure so you can set it real firm or what ever. i think that would be the awesome, but i guess for you track guys, it might not give the stiffness yall need. w/e just a thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts