Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was lookin at gettin a driveshaft pretty soon but i was also thinkin i was going to put it in (didnt plan on spendin cash for a shop to do it)

i've switched out the driveshaft in my truck before and it was just unbolt the thing and put the other back in......is this not the same thing? because i saw a *huge* write up of how to put one in a day or two ago (dont remember which thread)

is this not a simple unbolt and bolt the other one in? i dont have any mods that need special attention with the install

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Umm well many driveshafts are different, some of them come with different flanges some come with adapter plates, which one are you thinking about getting?

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if you've done one you'll be able to do this one also. shouldn't cause you any troubles as long as you get your angles right.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well thats one of the parts i'm not understanding....on the truck there was no "angle" to mess with....it was just line up the bolt holes and suck it down...(didnt use a torque wrench either)

was going to get the spydershaft but somebody has a powerhouse i might get off them

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Ho Edge, we need to know what exact DS your planning on getting.

Psycho -Most of that write up is addressing clearance issues that someone found quick fixes for.

As far as DS install goes, it all depends on the unit you pick. There are shafts that are direct unbolt and replace. There are others, like the spydershaft where the pinion side flange is replaced. It requires quick work in order to not lose to much diff fluid, or you can work like a turtle and simply top it off.

Figure out which shaft your getting and then post up so we can help specific to the unit you chose..

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
It can be done at home on ramps and/or jack stands. Just make sure you have some locktite and a breaker bar. If the car is on the ground it helps to use your foot to break the bolts loose.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i ended up getting the Powerhouse shaft.....do i really need a torque wrench or just bo up and tighten the bolts down (and if i do need to get a wrench, what ft/lbs do i need to tighten them to)? any other specifics i need to know? i dont have any mods that would need attending (mgw, lowered, etc.)

thnx in advance!

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
torque to 30 lb/ft and use some blue threadlocker. I was cuious about pinion angle as well...I have an adjustable UCA coming soon, drive shaft is going in tomorrow. I know the angle will change a bit going from a 2-piece to a 1-piece...is it enough to induce vibration or affect the life of the u-joints? How would I check the angle and what should it be set to? I intend to leave the ride height stock.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Put my driveshaft in today...Dynomax 3.5" bolt-in from Brenspeed...WOW! I made sure to mark the trans output and axle input flanges with a paint marker before pulling off the stocker, made sure they were lined up when I put the new shaft in, and no vibration at all. Feels great, and no more clunking between shifts! Waaaay easier install than I thought it would be. Only took an hour doing it myself with the wife holding the flashlight.

·
Registered
818 Posts
put in a spydershaft d/s on my stang on jackstands in my garage...was very straight forward, even for a novice such as myself. Just make sure you have a torque wrench, and an impact tool helps as well

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is 30 ft/lbs right? all the way around? how high did yall get it off the ground to have decent workin space

·
Registered
818 Posts
dont remember the torque specs, but the spydershaft came with great instructions. a lift would be great, but i just jacked it up with floor jacks and put it on jackstands, and it worked fine. Its important to use proper torque specs, or u could have vibration, etc. +1 on the thread locker

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i got the shaft used so i have no instructions :(

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
Mark the Flanges on the tranny and the axle housing before you remove the stock driveshaft. Your chances of vibration are lessened if you line up those marks when you install the new one. Use jackstands, of if you have a lift available, it makes it waaaay easier. Use threadlocker on the bolts and torque to 30 lb/ft. That's about as difficult as it gets, man. If you can rotate your tires, you can repace the driveshaft. It only takes an hour if you do it by yourself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
well i got the shaft used so i have no instructions :(
Just email Mike @ Powerhouse and he can email you the instructions. He used to pop in on these forums at times. I havent seen a post from him on any forums in a long time

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks grabber....i dont have jackstands tho so i'm tryin to find a lift i can use somewhere.....dont feel safe doing it on floor jacks (although i'm sure it would be fine) or if i could find enough blocks somewhere to stack under the tires along with the jacks ~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts