Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting dual exhaust for my 4.0, and I've got a question.

I've been reading tech articles on AM, and my understanding is that if I buy an X-Pipe, I can hook up any GT-based kit, correct?

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
As long as they are the same size tubes, they will be able to be attached. I assume you are getting 2.5" pipping; make sure the X pipe and cat backs are both the same diameter.

In the V6 world, most people get H pipes with dual exhaust because they like the sound better. An H pipe will give you a deeper toner, where as the X will give you a raspier sound, but you will gain a couple extra Hp from the X as well.

Are you doing this work youself, or are you having a shop weld it all together?

What exhaust setup are you getting?

·
"Spectre" Veteran
492 Posts
I've even heard of people hooking up stock GT exhaust...maybe an option to save some dough, but I'd youtube it first to see if it's your flavor.

·
Registered
203 Posts
As far as i know that would work for most setups as long as its not a kit for the 2010s i was told that that lengths of the cars changed on them and so kits wont fit anything but that car and on the new ones the pipe size is different. just make sure you look at all the specs before you buy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as they are the same size tubes, they will be able to be attached. I assume you are getting 2.5" pipping; make sure the X pipe and cat backs are both the same diameter.

In the V6 world, most people get H pipes with dual exhaust because they like the sound better. An H pipe will give you a deeper toner, where as the X will give you a raspier sound, but you will gain a couple extra Hp from the X as well.

Are you doing this work youself, or are you having a shop weld it all together?

What exhaust setup are you getting?
That's the thing, I don't know.

I was going to be safe at first and get the Pypes conversion kit, but I'm not sure now, hence the X-pipe question.

And yes, I'll be doing this work myself. The faja owns a steel/handrail company, so I'll be able to weld if need be.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
As far as i know that would work for most setups as long as its not a kit for the 2010s i was told that that lengths of the cars changed on them and so kits wont fit anything but that car and on the new ones the pipe size is different. just make sure you look at all the specs before you buy.
Wrong. Everything under the sheetmetal is exactly the same as the 05-09 Mustangs. As far as piping size, the stock mid pipe was 2.25 and the pypes dual kit made it all 2.5 from the cats back.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i tried to get the 2010 exhaust set up made by ford and they ordered it then called and said it wont work on my V6 because the length from the cats back would be short ???? maybe its all bs i am not sure the said that system wouldn't work tho

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
i tried to get the 2010 exhaust set up made by ford and they ordered it then called and said it wont work on my V6 because the length from the cats back would be short ???? maybe its all bs i am not sure the said that system wouldn't work tho
What's his face a few up with a 2010 mentioned the different sized pipes.

Just get the 05-09 parts. Also, you can probably get the same parts cheaper if you don't order them through Ford. Although, it would be good for Ford if you did.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You could do custom. Mine has the custom H, I took off the mufflers, right now I'm running straight. Think it will sound great once the turbo is one. quiet it down some

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
The length from the cats back shouldn't be an issue. Why are you looking for 2010 kits? It shows you have a 2006....The FRPP V6 exhaust kit is the same 05-09 as for the 2010 with the exception of the 2010's have the GT rear valance

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I like my Pypes. Great tone and easy install. V6's with no mufflers sound like an Eclipse with a fart can.

·
Tini Tini Bo Bini
9,029 Posts

sounds the best to me

1 - 15 of 15 Posts