Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got these headlights about one month ago and they look okay but the light output really sucks. I found out for the first time driving back home at 0400 in the pitch black darkness of the Santa Cruz Mountains. It was freakin terrifying, I ended up having to practically tailgate a turbo scion because I couldnt see S***. The install was easy. You have to cut into the header panel for proper fitment though. Anyway, Heres some pics just incase anyones thinking of getting these. I regret getting them and would not recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
437 Posts
the stock lights suck too. i has having the same problem a few weeks ago. had to drive home with the brights on almost the whole way home. maybe you can get brighter lights for it?

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
i had those coming up on a year ago, loved them during the day but ran around at night with the brigths on, i got in an accident and one of them broke so now i have one good one laying around then i went back to stock, im about to do HID though

·
Banned
276 Posts
I got 8500k halogen lightbulbs off ebay for 15 bucks shipped. there D.O.T. approved, an bright as helll. you wouldnt belive the diffrence. the dudes a powerseller so they"res alway enough to go around lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are pretty bright but the output is like tunnel vision, only lights up straight ahead and not the sides. You could see it in the picture of my stang facing the garage door. It only lights up the width of the garage door and doesnt even show on the walls at all. So coming up on twisties really sucks at night.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yeah, when I got new headlights I got the projector head lights. They are like a better looking clear version of the stock lights, they look great and work really good. I got silverstar ultra bulbs for them. The combo works great.

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
i ran a switch to the console so i could turn on the rings and dots only when i wanted to

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice, I just wired them up to the parking lights. I wonder if thered be any way to retro fit some projector housings from a different vehicle on these projectors. I noticed that the lens on my headlights is about the smallest ive seen comared to other cars with projectors.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
ive got the projectors too and am unhappy with the light output but am thrilled with the improvement over the stock. at least now i know where the lights shine whereas the old lights just kinda sprayed light and werent all that defined. switch to hid and tell us how it goes

·
Registered
11,354 Posts
I have a projector and have the same output issue. Can HID's be used with projectors? I would have to say at night they are a savior though. Iv had plenty of times at night were i do something "dumb" and the cop flys right past me because at first glance it dosnt look like a mustang. WIN!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got these from AmericanMuscle.com and they say you can't run HID's. They dont say why but I assume its because of heat issues maybe?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have heard that you need those crazy silverstar bulbs to get good output. looks pretty sweet though :D

there are a rare number of turbo tC's in cali. Was this one dark purple with tinted tailights? if so, I know that dude.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Negative, it was white and the BOV was freakin loud. Ill try those silverstars for the projectors and my fogs as soon as I replace the fog light switch and see if the output is better.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
yea from what i have heard and understand is that the heat from the lightbulb will melt the projector or lense or something, but dont take my word for it as i have not tried it. i really hope it is false actaully so i can throw some hids in mine and get some serious light output.

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
yea id go back to the halos if HIDs can be used with them

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, i doubt that they would melt the headlight assembly. If im not mistaken they should be cooler. HIDs are 35watt output compaired to 55watts from a halogen bulb. In that respect they use less power as well. Besides, if the after market headlight assemblies are made to the same standards as factory, and the factory ones can handle an hid kit, then so should the aftermarket ones.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts