Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only need one pair of 02 extensions for my header install correct? The other are long enough to reach?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
nope...you just need to go to radio shack or lowes and get some of the same guage wire and a crimp set and some heat shrink...solder if you know how to do that....i'd rather pay $5 vs whatever the extensions cost.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
nope...you just need to go to radio shack or lowes and get some of the same guage wire and a crimp set and some heat shrink...solder if you know how to do that....i'd rather pay $5 vs whatever the extensions cost.
:withstupid

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
thats the easy way to do it but they can malfunction because of the obstruction of flow of the current... thats the way i did mine but... the correct way is to buy extensions...

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts

All that work to save $15 and all you gotta do is plug em in. I will never understand some of you.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats the easy way to do it but they can malfunction because of the obstruction of flow of the current... thats the way i did mine but... the correct way is to buy extensions...
This is correct. Although the restriction may be minimal, I would rather just purchase piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Do i really need to school you on electronics???

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
why go thru the hassle of cutting, soldeirng, crimping, getting to the wires and doing them, etc??? just get extensions, plug in and go.

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
because some of us are narrow minded and often cheap at times.... but i too rather have the piece of mind

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The extensions are one of the simplest things we can do on our cars...reminds me of how everything else goes...why not swap out the entire card versus popping in a new transistor or something.

You will get a better connection by soldering in new wires versus using an additional connector...we aren't talking rocket science here.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
A connector will more than likely mess up before a proper solder job. But Id suggest the extensions if your not comfortable with electrical stuff, or want the quick route.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A connector will more than likely mess up before a proper solder job.
exactly. Soldering a wire is as welding is to metal....only difference is that its pretty hard to mess up a solder job....it can be sloppy to a certain extent...unless your talking higher reliability soldering...not something most would ever get into, basically NASA specs.

For those that want to have the peace of mind about an additional connector lets play a numbers game...On average a connector adds 1 dBm of loss in a cable...3 dBm equals half power...Power=voltage x current (P=IE) So basically by adding connector you are adding a 33% loss to your current configuration. Soldering gives about a .1 dbm loss. I've been doing this stuff for 10 years, like i said its not rocket science.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
OK so i did my math a little wrong...it would be about a 15% loss...but when your down in the low amperage components like the O2 sensor...i'd rahter have as little loss as possible.

If any of you are in the Oklahoma city area, i can show you how easy this is to do.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
All that work to save $15 and all you gotta do is plug em in. I will never understand some of you.
Its not about saving money...its about doing it right. Plain and simple when altering a stock configuration you either solder in new wiring or replace complete wiring with something that will fit. The extensions are a simple fix action for those that don't know how to do it.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
Its not about saving money...its about doing it right. Plain and simple when altering a stock configuration
:drink +1.... welcome to modding!

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
there is nothing wrong with extensions. there is not enough interference in the connections to mess up anything. the old saying of more than one way to skin a cat applies to stuff like this. i will call you stupid all day long to say that o2 extensions is the wrong way to do it. it is only one way. cuting, soldering, etc, is another way to do it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts