Modded Mustang Forums banner

Dump the clutch...

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  xxfast96stangxx 
#1 ·
what does tht mean?

#5 ·
heres the low down....

he have the clutch in you rev your car up past its idle like 3k and hold it there then let go of the clutch really ****ing fast... result tire spin..

#8 ·
yes i learned that the hard way... spun 1st and 2nd.

#16 ·
Wikipedia said:
Slipping the clutch

Slipping the clutch (sometimes referred to as feathering the clutch) is a term used by automotive enthusiasts to describe when the driver alternately applies and releases the clutch to achieve some movement of the car. It's called slipping because the clutch plate will slip against the flywheel surface when such an action is performed. Slipping the clutch is known to be hard on the clutch surface due to the sliding friction created.

Drivers can frequently be observed slipping the clutch when they are trying to stay stationary on a hill without using neutral and the brake. They apply the clutch to climb a bit, then release to roll back, then apply again, etc. so that the car stays in about the same place. The alternative to this technique of staying stationary on a hill would be to put the vehicle in neutral and apply the brake.

Slipping the clutch is a popular term in drag racing culture and is done when launching a car, usually in a drag race. Some contend that slipping the clutch is the best way to launch a front-wheel drive (FWD) car as it prevents Torque steering that many FWD cars experience when too much power is put to the front wheels.

#19 ·
I dump, pop, slip, throw, destroy, my clutch every now and then....now I need an input shaft bearing! I just rebuilt my diff (also installed new trac loc), all that poppin did a number, this is a result of really good sticky DR tires, just thought I'd toss that in....I also have a King Cobra clutch, very difficult to destroy but....it can be done!
Life is full of thrills....can't wait for summer to return....sigh!

#21 ·
haha well i prefer to ride out the clutch i dont know if that is easier on it than slipping it but haha yea used to dump the clutch at the track with dr's but with 10 psi of boost now i am guna resort to riding it out lol use to spin 15 ft without the blower and dumping the clutch with heated up low pressure dr's lol can't imagine what would happen with the boost now haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.