Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm debating with my dad, we want to.purchase another dump truck, we've found some good ones. One is a 92 Mack ch612 single axle 9spd manual with 129k miles
Another is a 95 Mack ch612 single axle with 125k miles but its an auto.
Now my dad has always used manual but i'm the one driving the truck now to the work site. We use it to haul.dirt from the pool hole and to haul the backhoe from home to the job site and back home at the end of the week. We also haul dirt from the job site to a dump site about 18-23 times once a week. But never haul dirt and the backhoe at the same time. Now my question is... Is the manual that much better or can an auto do the job an last? Because my dad swears on the manual being the best when I can get the auto for less money
Id like to hear your opinion or facts but prefer non biased opinions like my dad's who only has driven manual.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
I would stay away from those early gen automatics. You cannot go wrong with a basic Eaton Fuller manual gearbox. That 9 speed for example is bullet proof. Your dad is right in this case.

There is a reason that automatic is less money.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
So i'm debating with my dad, we want to.purchase another dump truck, we've found some good ones. One is a 92 Mack ch612 single axle 9spd manual with 129k miles
Another is a 95 Mack ch612 single axle with 125k miles but its an auto.
Now my dad has always used manual but i'm the one driving the truck now to the work site. We use it to haul.dirt from the pool hole and to haul the backhoe from home to the job site and back home at the end of the week. We also haul dirt from the job site to a dump site about 18-23 times once a week. But never haul dirt and the backhoe at the same time. Now my question is... Is the manual that much better or can an auto do the job an last? Because my dad swears on the manual being the best when I can get the auto for less money
Id like to hear your opinion or facts but prefer non biased opinions like my dad's who only has driven manual.
It would help to have some specs on the trucks, because there's a lot more than one variety of transmission. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess based on application we're talking about an Eaton 9spd manual and an Allison, likely 3000/300 series transmission, probably 5 spd?

Manual is going to be more intuitive, and over the life of the vehicle, if driven well, much cheaper. Braking with heavy load will likely be easier with the manual, especially if jake brake equipped.

Automatic will perform fine, and will likely get up to speed quicker. Assuming it's a 5spd (based on application and year) it probably won't get the same cruising fuel economy. However on some jobsites the automatic makes life much easier in getting around. The one thing that can also put the automatic on even ground with the manual for braking is a retarder, but these are quite expensive if installed. A good cooling system is a must with the auto as well, especially if you're towing/hauling and definitely with a retarder. They can make LOTS of heat.

Overall I would likely pick the manual, especially if you can tell the clutch and shifter are in good condition. Allisons are nice, but they are a big headache when it comes to fixing them. The prices are absolutely outrageous as well. Manuals don't have much to them, and don't break very often. It's a clutch, fork, and TOB. There's not even synchros to worry about. An automatic has the transmission, converter, coolers, TCM and shifter, and that's not counting all the nonsense inside.

That said you don't see too many Mack CH series dump trucks, let alone single axle. Almost all I've seen are tandem, and some even had additional lift axles.

·
hi you can call me mater
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would help to have some specs on the trucks, because there's a lot more than one variety of transmission. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess based on application we're talking about an Eaton 9spd manual and an Allison, likely 3000/300 series transmission, probably 5 spd?

Manual is going to be more intuitive, and over the life of the vehicle, if driven well, much cheaper. Braking with heavy load will likely be easier with the manual, especially if jake brake equipped.

Automatic will perform fine, and will likely get up to speed quicker. Assuming it's a 5spd (based on application and year) it probably won't get the same cruising fuel economy. However on some jobsites the automatic makes life much easier in getting around. The one thing that can also put the automatic on even ground with the manual for braking is a retarder, but these are quite expensive if installed. A good cooling system is a must with the auto as well, especially if you're towing/hauling and definitely with a retarder. They can make LOTS of heat.

Overall I would likely pick the manual, especially if you can tell the clutch and shifter are in good condition. Allisons are nice, but they are a big headache when it comes to fixing them. The prices are absolutely outrageous as well. Manuals don't have much to them, and don't break very often. It's a clutch, fork, and TOB. There's not even synchros to worry about. An automatic has the transmission, converter, coolers, TCM and shifter, and that's not counting all the nonsense inside.

That said you don't see too many Mack CH series dump trucks, let alone single axle. Almost all I've seen are tandem, and some even had additional lift axles.
Over here that's all that everyone has haha
And I guess we'll just shell out the cash for a new manual dump truck. I'm just always trying to save

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Never driven an automatic dump truck but I like the control that comes with the manual. My vote is for the manual one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts