Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have dumped exhaust, how'd you secure your X-pipe from bouncing on bumps? I Have longtubes with the two bolt collecter style. Trying to get some input. I will most likely weld a brace onto it. Just wondering what you guys have done.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
For those of you who have dumped exhaust, how'd you secure your X-pipe from bouncing on bumps? I Have longtubes with the two bolt collecter style. Trying to get some input. I will most likely weld a brace onto it. Just wondering what you guys have done.
I'm interested in this also however I'm not sure how all that works when I go turbo but I'd dump my **** right now if it wasn't cold and I had **** to do it lol

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I'm not currently dumped.... but on past cars I've simply used exhaust hangers at the outlet side of the muffler to support the exhaust from the collectors back.

·
Registered
140 Posts
are there even any gains,benefits or downfalls to dumping it?
You just get more noise and less back pressure, also you will get alot more interior resonance.. I had my v6 dumped and I would rather have had it come out the back

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have mine connected in the stock location. Just have turn down/outs right before the axle. No need for anymore bracing or hangers.
This

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
255 Posts
You just get more noise and less back pressure, also you will get alot more interior resonance..

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Yup, I bought an 88 years back with dumped exhaust and hated it. Smells bad too. Why not just run it out the back? It's louder going out the back anyway.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Well i look at it as i save weight by not going out back. Plus, I use to have side exhaust and still have the tips there so it looks like it comes out the side. I got rid of it because the piping was just too low for my comfort and i scraped all the time. I actually ripped one side off once on a railroad crossing. That was my breaking point. lol. and the exhaust smell in the car is just another experience of riding in my car. why, because racecar

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Terms have changed over time. Exhaust coming out the side used to be called side pipes. A dumped exhaust was one that came directly off the headers. I had headers that came to the collector and then had a plate. The exhaust came off the side of the collectors to the mufflers. When I ran a dumped exhaust I simply opened the headers to atmosphere. It was very loud.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Exactly like froush said. Unless you are dumping after the mid pipe.

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
You will hate it. It will sound like an old farm truck and be so loud inside you will go crazy on the highway due to drone. Stinky also. my bet is if you do it you put the tail pipes back on shortly there after. PPL will also ask whats wrong with your car so often you will get tired of it. Unless its on a dedicated race car then ok.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Thats why i said mine are angled out. Its really not bad at all. Not a whole lot of drone with lm2s. I can tell you its less drone than when i had the v6 and blowmaster 40s going out the back while cruising.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
You will hate it. It will sound like an old farm truck and be so loud inside you will go crazy on the highway due to drone. Stinky also. my bet is if you do it you put the tail pipes back on shortly there after. PPL will also ask whats wrong with your car so often you will get tired of it. Unless its on a dedicated race car then ok.
It all matters on the exhaust. Mine in no way sounds like an old farm truck let alone have people ask me what's wrong with it.

Sent from my LG-AS680 using AutoGuide App

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
i have mine dumped out right after the collectors, sounds great at idle with my cams.......... 10-40mph farm tractor...........30-40mph+ WOT pull, ear piercing/painful goodness..........60-80mph on the freeway is where it sounds pretty sexy. but even i grew tired of it, maybe its because i had manual cut-outs. some of the most fun i had was rolling up to meets or shows 5-10mph roll makin everyone think i had some crazy ass 2v.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts